LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pt (swlf)     26 October 2013

Threatening sms

If somebody sends me threatening message on SMS...can he be punished for that? Any FIR can be done.....

Learning

7 Replies

Northern Queen (Manager)     26 October 2013

Yes, this is an offence under Information Technology Act 2000. If you have recieved SMS with threatening behaviour to kill you etc, then ou should go to your local Cyber Cell and make a formal complaint. Please save all your SMS and data by backing it up on a PC system as Police may want to keep your phone for evidence in case they 'lose it'

Look at the links attached for further information.

https://www.legalindia.in/cyber-crimes-and-the-law

https://www.dot.gov.in/sites/default/files/itbill2000_0.pdf

I am not a Lawyer, nor do i profess to be one - i just dislike injustice, bullying and corruption.

Change your phone too.

Good luck

Peace and love to you.

Northern Queen (Manager)     26 October 2013

Sorry, meant to say this comes under Information Technology Act 2000 - section 66a.

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     27 October 2013

1. yes It comes under cyber crime 2.save the massage in its original form and then make a police report in cyber cell .3. IT's also punishable u/s 506 ipc (1or 2 , depends upon nature of threat) .

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     27 October 2013

agreed

pt (swlf)     27 October 2013

If I take printout of the message with all the details...and if by accident my phone is lost...... can the details of sms in the

printout are considered proof?

Northern Queen (Manager)     28 October 2013

@queriest - not sure about that one - hopefully one of the experts can tell you. 

I would certainly advise you to copy them on to a pc/pen drive or some other device for added securtiy. 

Hope you nail the bad guys.

Peace and love to you.

kartikeya (lawyer/cyber law consultant/cyber crime investigator)     05 November 2013

it all depends on what is stated in the sms.... as you need to prove it offensive one.... main thing who sent sms??? police may not lodge an fir.. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register