LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Madhav Dhulkhedkar (OO)     26 November 2012

The changes in person name and surname

As per my knowledge, Surname is a family name and person's name is the name given to a particular person in order to identify him or her.

Under certain circumstances, both can be changes by way of act.

These are, 1. Marriage (only females) 2. Adoption (Both) 3. Remarriage (only female)

My questions are,

1.     Is there any another legal way to change name or surname?

2.     Can one change his father name keeping his name and surname as original one?

3.     Can married one declare himself or herself unmarried and retain her original name?

If any one expert would like to advice me on these issue please do give me your email ID and contact number. I have some issue regarding this.

Learning

3 Replies

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     26 November 2012

Apart from the three cause titles stated by you, one can jolly well delete as well as change given name for no apparent reason legally.

All one has to do is give insert in two newspapers such name change as advertisement and keeping full page of the appeared news paper item approach State Gazette and get Gazette notified change of name and then buy few spare copies of the Gazette Notification appearing in State Gazette and then approach respective authorities for updating changed name in official documents such as Passport / Ration card / Election card / State Tel. bills / Electricity Bill / Water Bill / Mobile connection / School Records / Job / PF A/c / Banking A/C etc. etc.

Annexure is Form for Gazette Notification. For news paper insert pick up any national newspaper and under its advertisement section you will find various persons advertising Change of Name. Use one and paying adv. fees do the needful.

There is no need of providing email ID or phone no. for such name change cause title is my view. However if someone sends you for this a PM (personal message) then also no harm are some of my views.

Opinion on your second que. is tricky as I understood it I would say first that natural father's name cannot be changed, but if the child is adopted then via declaration / adoption deed one can retain natural father's surname as well as add adopted father's surname all due to sentimental reasons. Here what I understood of your que. is that you want to retain surname as well as given name, surname comes from natural father's side and not from vacuum thus previous sentence is my view unless I misunderstood your this que. completely.

For your third que. it is not possible for a married female to claim as un-married for name change purposes. Infact Law says it is not necessary for a female person to change / adopt husband's name (surname) after marriage. it is custom that has been followed without question till date that raises such doubts. All she has to do is to refuse surname of husband and if adopted surname of husband then she can still go back to her maiden name by following few guidelines stated in opening few paras of this reply. 

Attached File : 375989372 forms for change of name majors.pdf downloaded: 124 times

Goutam Prasad (Advocate)     26 November 2012

I have to inform you that both name and surname can be changed at any time after following some legal procedure. In brief, you can get your name and surname changed by announcing your wish to get such name change thorough news paper advertisement and simultaneous publication in official gazzate of State Government. This requires an affidavit of your wish to such name change before publication. 

Name of the father can never be changed. However, if you gets adopted by any other person other than your own father, then you can do so. It is lengthy court procedure.

Married person may retain her original name, but can not declare her to be unmarried.

https://www.aegisjurist.com

https://www.facebook.com/aegisjurist

Madhav Dhulkhedkar (OO)     27 November 2012

Our problem is as per below.

A person with name A holding one land property with full name A ( name) B (father’s name) C ( surname). The daughter of one deceased person had approached to talathi ( Village Accountant) stating that the said property is belongs to A (same as my name) D (his father’s name different from my father's name) C (same as my surname). The talthi had told them to get it proved from the court. After some days the daughter of deceased person A D C are stating that D has another name and it is same as my father’s name ( i. e. B) without giving any legal documents and proof. My father B and mother are also no more. How can I resolve this situation? Purposefully I had not mentioned the name. Can I take help from my other relatives?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register