LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gaurav Gulati (CA)     12 June 2013

Tds on immovable property over rs. 50 lakhs

The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has notified the new provision of Tax Deducted at Source or TDS on immovable property. The buyer need to deduct tax while making the payment to the seller, if the cost of the immovable property (other than agricultural land) exceeds Rs 50 lakhs under section 194IA. Further the provision will apply to the primary booking with the builder and also the secondary resale in the market.

In this case the person required to deduct TDS would not necessary to obtain TAX Deduction Account Number (TAN). The rate at which tax is to be cut is 1%, but it would go up to as high as 20% if the seller does not disclose his/her permanent account number. The provision will apply even when the property has been financed through a bank loan. So the buyer will have to ensure either he himself or the bank deducts tax before disbursing the loan to the seller.

I need a view on one particular case.

Say the buyer has booked an under construction flat for Rs. 55 lacs with the builder in 2010. He has already paid Rs. 54 lacs to the builder before June 1, 2013 and remaining 1 lacs is due at the time of possession. Now while making the payment of 1 lakh whether he should deduct TDS on the total booking value of Rs. 55 lacs or only on Rs. 1 lakh which he is paying now after June 1.

Further if the flat value was less than 50 lacs at the time of booking but now at the time of registration of property, due to increase in circle rates, if the property is valued at more than 50 lacs for stamp duty purposes, whether this attracts TDS u/s 194IA?

what will happen if the property is jointly owned by 2 or more persons and share of each person is less than Rs. 50 lacs? Will they all deduct TDS in their proportionate ownership & paid separately

Learning

3 Replies

Vallabh Parmar (Advocate)     18 August 2013

The TDS is to be made on balance amount of Rs 100000/- which is paid after 1/6/2013

2) If circle rate is more than  actual value of transaction then still TDS has to be made  on actual  consideration  and  actul amount paid after 1/6/13 and has nothing to do with Circle Rates. half 

3) If property is jointly purchased  then also TDS needs to be made  of equal  half amount by both buyers  and two TDS  certificate needs to be issued

Amit Mall (AVP)     06 October 2013

Buyer (A) purchased a flat in July 2010 from a builder for a total consideration of Rs. 40Lacs. Buyer ( A) made payments in installments to builder for Rs. 30 Lacs against the construction linked plan. In July 2012, buyer ( A) transferred the property to another buyer (B) at Rs. 60 Lacs. Against the transfer of property buyer (B) paid Rs. 50 Lacs ( 30 Lacs + 20 Lacs premium) to buyer (A). Now, in Aug 2013, builder raised a demand for Rs. 5 lacs under construction linked plan on buyer (B). Do the buyer (B) require to deduct TDS@1% on Rs. 5Lacs while making the payment to the builder? Please note that builder has sold the flat at Rs. 40 Lacs only and he will get only Rs. 40 Lacs (except the transfer charges in addition).

Amit Mall

Maneesh Ghorpade (Marketing Professional)     02 January 2015

I sold a property in Jun 2013 for a considerable value of Rs. 92L as in the agreement. Is the Buyer suppose to pay the entire 92L to me or deduct 1% on the 42L (TDS on immovable property over Rs. 50L) and pay me the rest? The Buyer has paid me the entire amount and over an above paid Rs. 42K as TDS to the Govt. Now the Buyer expects the amount of Rs. 42K from me. Should I be liable to pay him the TDS amount? OR because the consideration amount in the agreement is 92L, I should get this in full. Kindly advice.

Thanks & Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register