Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kumar (Manager)     28 December 2015

Status of interim maintenance

Hi experts

My wife got Interim Maintenance order under sec 24 and I went for appeal in high court to reduce the maintenance. The appeal is still pending. Now it is about to complete 1 year since the interim maintenance order is passed. 

In the interim maintenance order it was mentioned that I have to pay maintenance until the disposal of HMOP. But i came to know that, generally the interim maintenance is for 1 year only and wife should file for readjudication after 1 year.

Is this applicable for all cases? I mean in my interim maintenance order it was mentioned "pay maintenance until disposal of HMOP". So still my wife has to apply for readjudication?

What is the process followed for hearing the readjudication application? Is it same like how the actual interim maintenance application was heard(like filing petition, filing counter, give proofs, enquiry and then pass order)?

please clarify.

Learning

7 Replies

kumar (Manager)     18 January 2016

Hi experts,

I dont know if it is a silly question or a difficult question, but i got no advice from anyone yet.

Can some one please clarify me?

Thanks.

Reformist !!! (Other)     25 January 2016

Your wife does not need to file for readjudication. She will get maintenance till the pendency of case. Anyways, how much amount was ordered to her for maintenance?

Sidharth   25 January 2016

Maintenance granted u/s24 of HMA is till the disposal of divorce case . There is no need to file readjucation

@renuka

Application to change maintenance amount can be filed by either side. But it is not mandatory to do that. 

@ it is also mentioned by the quriest that " in my interim maintenance order it was mentioned "pay maintenance until disposal of HMOP".

Reformist !!! (Other)     25 January 2016

Above advices are wrong and misleading.

>> The advices given were absolutely correct and true as per the established Law.

IA ordered holds good only for 1 year.  Search judgements relating to this as it is well established fact.

>> We would like to know this fact via you. Kindly share such judgments for HMA 24 with us, we would feel privilged.

If you have quams about IA is more, you have to give application under 124 crpc stating change in circumstances to reduce IA with suitable information lke change in job, lost job, fell sick and not able to work etc.

>> Again, 124 CrPC is a seperate Code and it cannot be filed in proceedings going under HMA. @Renuka Ji --> Please read HMA before giving such advise.

Then Family court itself will re-adjudicate the alimony it fixed.

>> Maintenance and alimony are both different aspects in HMA. If your wife proves cruelty (if she has filed the case), she will be granted alimony which depends on judge's discretion. Maintenance can only be reduced by higher court. Family court has no power to review its order as you have already filed revision in high court.

And balance can be recovered for only 1 year pending.  Google same judgements or look for my old posts on maintenance.

>> There is no mode of recovery in HMA, although there are some cases where illegally recovery has been done. The main point is If he does not pay, his defence will be struck off.

This procedure be followed until cases run.  If she wont file IA application after 1 year, no need to pay.  She should ask, only then court can ask you to pay, she wont ask, you need not pay.

>> There is no 1 year clause anywhere in HMA. Straightforward act is if she files for section 24 and she wins any maintenance, he has to pay else not.

Cases like divorce will go on for decades, court cannot fix same amount for entire period.

>> Divorce case in family court has shelf life of almost 3 years. Appeals have no time, it can linger on to decades.

There will be change in circumstances for both husband and wife.

>> That is true and maintenance can be increased if income of husband increases, but thats very rare and depends on how cases are fought.

Like husband can ask for reducing alimony, same way wife can also ask to increase alimony both are left to discretion of court based on merits of case.

>> Again you are mixing maintenance and alimony here. Please read the bare act for more understanding.

kumar (Manager)     30 January 2016

Thanks Reformist, Sidharth and Renuka Chaudhury for the explanations and your valuable time.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register