LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

jayesh (PROP)     03 August 2013

Short term capital gain tax..?

hi..my father purchased a flat in pune in oct-2008 in a society.we made payment slab wise as described in agreement.and agreement (saledeed) was done in oct-2008 itself.

the last installment of payment and society mainatance charges paid in mar-2011.

the builder handed over a posseion letter on mar-2011.

my father expired in april-2012.now as a successor we rest of family are selling the flats.

now my question is if i sell that flat now means in aug-2013..does the profit comes under SHORT TERM CAPITAL GAIN OR LONG TERM CAPITAL  GAIN.

I ALREADY TAKEN ADVICE FROM SOME IT CONSULTANTS.

SOME OF THEM SAY IT WILL HAVE LONG TERM CAPITAL TAX GAIN CONSIDERING DATE OF AGREEMENT(SALEDEED).(OCT 2008+ 3YEARS)

BUT SOME SAYS POSSESION DATE IS CONSIDERED AND NOT A AGREEMENT DATE..SO IT COMES UNCER SHORT TERM CAPTIAL GAIN TAX.SO I WILL HAVE TO SELL IT ONLY AFTER MAR-2014(POSSEION DATE MAR-11 + 3 YEARS=MAR 14).

NOW I  AM CONFUSED .

WHICH DATE SHOULD BE COSIDERED AS PER INDIAN IT LAW..?

AND IS THERE ANY WAY OUT LIKE CAN I DO MOU BETWEEN THE BUYER NOW AND GIVE POSSEISSION IN APRIL 2014.ETC.

PL HELP..

Learning

3 Replies

R RAJAGOPALAN (ADVOCATE)     04 August 2013

The facts available.are not  full, it seems. You say, "agreement (saledeed) was done in oct-2008 itself." Was it a sale deed in respect of the undivided share in the land? Was there a simultaneous agreement with the Builder regarding the construction of the Flat?

Subject to the above, it appears that you purchased the (undivided share in) land in 2008, but the house-construction was completed in March 2011 only. On these facts, it can be stated that by August 2013 you held the (undivided share in) land  for more than 3 years, but held the house for less than 3 Years.

Students (NA)     04 August 2013

If the Conveance Deed is registered before three years of the Selling the Flat (i.e You are selling it after completion of three from the date of Registration) It is considered as LTCG, but if the Registration is not Done then It will be STCG which would be Taxable a per Slab rates. 

Students (NA)     04 August 2013

You can Also insert a Clause in Agreement to Sale Itself Regarding  the possesion of the Flat and also register the Flat in Buyers Name after April 2014 as you wish to to do to avoid STCG and claim Exemption US 54.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register