Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chan   02 April 2020

Shareholding rights after death

Dear respected lawyers,

My father has shareholdings in Indian companies that he had invested in through his company. He had put his brothers names as joint shareholders as well. Sadly, he has now passed away suddenly and did not write a will. As per Indian law, can someone please advice me as to what happens to his shareholding. Would this automatically be passed onto the next of kin ie my mother? If so, how do we go about this as we are worried that his brothers may not give us our entitled share.

Please could someone advise us. Your advice would be greatly appreciated as we are really in need.

Learning

11 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     02 April 2020

1. IF the names in the Share Certificate /Demat Holdings are those of Father and his Brother, THEN legally it will be construed that Father & Brother each have 50% right /stake on such Share Holdings.

2. Serve a Legal Notice /Caveat to the "Indian Co." restraining them from making any type of Transfer of said Share Holdings.  

3. Since Father has not left any WILL document, file a Civil Court case for directions to transfer the Father's share holding (50%) in name of Mother.  Nothing is "automatic" in law and due procedures of law must be followed.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     02 April 2020

SInce the shares are in the name of your uncles and father,so you can claim only the share of your father not those of uncles.

You get a succsession certificate and transfer the share of your fahter in the heir's name.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     02 April 2020

Do not wait to discover some medicine when the disease is not known and there are strong symptoms, contact an expert to get a remedy.   In other words, do not take the risk, depending on the value of the shares, contact a local advocate and immediately take action for including of your mother's name as joint holder or for splitting those shares in your mother's name independently.  (For example if there are 100 shares in joint name, you can demand for 50 shares exclusively in your mother's name).  Always trust for councelling and mediation.

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     02 April 2020

As per the Companies Act, in case of a joint holding the shares upon death of a joint holder automatically devolve on the surviving joint holder(s). There has been ample case laws where this right of joint holders under the Companies Act and the Artciles of Association of a Company, which is binding on every shareholder is upheld. The best resolution would be dispute resolution outside court

Chan   02 April 2020

Thank you for your advice. If we can settle this outside court, can you advise what document can be drawn up to allocate 50% shares in my mothers name and 50% in brother?

Seek original transfer deed for such shares in individual names and for individual shares in the name of legal heirs as per compromise.  The chain is broken and individual shareholders can deal with those shares as they like.

Chan   02 April 2020

Thank you - how do I seek original transfer? who shall I contact?

You need not contact any outsiders.  The person that is having such shares in his name can use transfer deed or digitally transfer the shares.   You can contact any local brokering forum for further guidance.  All this if the other party is willing to consider for your demand for your share in shares.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     03 April 2020

If a joint shareholder dies, the shares pass automatically to the remaining joint holder(s) rather than, as with any property not held jointly, according to the deceased's will or the law of intestacy

As with the death of any other shareholder, the company will require sight of the joint holder’s death certificate (or an authenticated copy). The company’s register of members can then be updated to show the holding vesting in the name(s) of the surviving joint shareholder(s).

You have to talk with your paternal uncles about it outside the court and settle the issue amicably, because if they refuse then you will have less chance to get your father's shares transferred to your names. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register