Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Surendramohan   17 June 2016

Settlement deed vs gift deed vs will

Hi All,

I and my sister had done a release deed (with consideration) a few years ago releasing our ownership on our Father's property after his demise to our Mother (Legal heirs of my Father - Son, Daughter and Wife).

Now my mother would like to transfer this property to my name (Son). I would like to know what is the best way to do this to avoid legal hassles later. 

1. Based on my reading/understanding to avoid challenges in court later, it is best to do a Gift/Settlement deed rather than a WILL?
  2. If you agree, which one should my mother do - Gift deed or Settlement deed? Is there any way to keep the life interest in Gift/Settlement deed?
  3. Should we get my sisters agreement for gift /settlement deed again considering that she had already released it to my mother already?
  4. I understand that Gift deed (without consideration) will not attract stampduty charges for transactions betweeen direct descendants (mother to son). Please confirm and what is the likely charge here?
  5. Also I understand that there is no taxation involved on this transfer as well. Please confirm
  6. I Understand that Gift deed will transfer rights immediately , but what should I do to do "name transfer" of property? Can I do it one shot?
  7. I understand that gift deeds can be challenged based on the soundness of my mothers mind when she gifted it to me? Is there a way to mitigate this risk by getting a medical certificate or something and attaching it along with the Gift deed?

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register