LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Divya (nil)     03 March 2012

Set aside execution decree / set aside arbitration award

A bank had to recover credit card dues for which they initiated arbitration proceedings & the notices & award copy were sent to fake addresses..

Bank in a few months went for award execution by filing a Darkhast.....Now my biggest question is what should I challenge: the award or the decree???

The decree is a result of fraud & concealment of facts from the courts - does decree become a nullity in the eyes of law??

Or should I challenge the Award & raise that award is obtained by fraud & misrepresentation???

Or do I put an appeal for setting aside both the decree & the award.

Learning

3 Replies

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     03 March 2012

There is no question of appealing against both - appeal against the award on S.34 grounds, there is no decree - arbitration award is the deemed decree for the purposes of execution. 

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 March 2012

Mr. Bharat Chugh has given valuable adv ice. Kindly follow it.

Section 34 in The Arbitration And Conciliation Act, 1996

34. Application for setting aside arbitral award.

(1) Recourse to a Court against an arbitral award may be made only by an application for setting aside such award in accordance with sub- section (2) and subsection (3).

(iii) the party making the application was not given proper notice of the appointment of an arbitrator or of the arbitral proceedings or was otherwise unable to present his case;

Kindly look into the attachment:

Section 34 of the 1996 Act makes a mere challenge to an award operate as an automatic

stay even without an order of the court, thereby encouraging many parties to file

petitions under that provision to delay the execution proceedings. However, under the

1940 Act, there was no such automatic stay. There is an amendment proposed by the

Law Ministry in the Arbitration and Conciliation (Amendment) Bill, 2003, which has not

been taken up for consideration by the Parliament.

The 1996 Act narrows down the scope of grounds available for challenging awards as

compared to the earlier 1940 Act. However, with gradual judicial interpretation, the

scope of appeal against an award under the 1996 Act has become broader particularly

after the decision of the ONGC case,50 which has widened the ambit of ‘public policy.’

Violation of public policy of India is one of the grounds for challenge of an award under

the 1996 Act.51 The ONGC case, undoubtedly, invited substantial criticism from the

legal circles and fraternity. While some large corporations and bodies welcomed the

decision, most of the members of the legal profession disagreed and stated that the 1996

Act will in effect become ‘old wine in new bottle’, because under the 1940 Act, it was

easy to set aside awards only on the basis of public policy.

Attached File : 298510443 no 103 sarma india arbitration india 509.pdf downloaded: 240 times

Divya (nil)     03 March 2012

thankyou for such prompt assisatnce.......

Please also answer another thing: Are court fees to be paid when I put an appeal to set the aside the AWARD since its procured by fraud & mis-representation ???

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register