LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sourav Dasgupta (Engineer)     16 August 2014

Service termination condition

I am a victim of 498a. Here I summarize my case details. Please post your valuable opinion.

I am working in WBSETCL, a PSU under WB Govt. since 2012. My case was filed against me and my parents on June 2013. My wife informed my office about the case soon after file the case. I got the A.B. from Calcutta H.C. My company did not confirm my service as a criminal case is pending against me. Two times the period of probation of my job was extent for 6 months. Now the probation period of 2 year is about to expire. Management ask me to settle the case otherwise they have to terminate me as in my service regulation it is written that the period of probation of the job cannot be extended more than 1 year. My life is in grave danger. Please help me as soon as possible.

Learning

11 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     18 August 2014

Management is correct.  They have no choice.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 August 2014

this is matter related to matrimonial dispute and not connected with disciplinary issue, you may make a representation to the management explaining the situation because until and unless punished, the accused cannot be held guilty for the offences alleged to have been committed by him, so you are innocent as on date even by criminal laws, consult a local lawyer and move as per his  further advise.

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     24 August 2014

Agreed with Mr. Kalaiselvan.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     30 August 2014

Not able to agree with experts above.

• As long as criminal case is pending none in his HR deptt can certify "no disciplinary or criminal case pending", at the time of completion of probation.

• pending criminal case is a valid and compelling reason for non-clearance of probation in such case PSU has no option on earth but to terminate the employee. It is irralevent if the criminal case is related to duties or not.

• the allegation relating to dowry demand  is one of the crime against woman and can be a subject matter of departmental inquiry against a Govt/PSU employee irrespective of outcome of court case.

He himself stated that company has cautioned him in advance.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     30 August 2014

Further when you got bail from Court, did you report the same to the office?

Sourav Dasgupta (Engineer)     01 September 2014

Yes I have reported it to office.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     01 September 2014

>>> You have posted that:

‘You have informed the office that court has granted the bail to you’.

I shall not be posting anything on pertaining to 498a. For it you may get in touch with LCI expert Mr. Shonee Kapoor.

I am not looking for any agreement or disagreement and in fact I shall only post whatever relevant and meaningful support I can render in this thread for the employee.

My stance shall remain Pro Employee.

>>> The probation period has been extended arbitrarily as it is not due to dis-satisfactory performance during probation period!

Do you have copy of appraisals or ACR whatever it is termed/called in your establishment?

The copy of appraisal form/format and duly filled form……………………………and ACR is to be necessarily provided to employee.

If it is not supplied acquire a copy and also copy of appraisal/confirmation policy/service rules and regulations/standing orders applicable to the policy/conduct and discipline rules………………………………everything even if you have to pursue thru RTI………………………………………Is it stated that in case a matrimonial dispute is pending in court of law………………………………..and bail is granted…………………………employment shall be terminated?

The learned court has granted you the bail.

In a plethora of judgments courts of law have mad scathing comments on abuse of law………………………and in particular pertaining to matrimonial disputes……………………!!

“ Govt. can not cancel the appointment if 498a or criminal case is pending”.

“Held: The conduct of the wife and circumstances of the case make it it graphically clear that the wife had really humiliated the husband and caused him mental cruelty - Her conduct clearly exposits that it resulted in causing agony and anguish in the mind of the husband - The wife publicised in the newspapers that the husband was a womaniser and a drunkard - She made wild allegations about his character - She made an effort to prosecute him in criminal litigations which she failed to prove - The cumulative effect of the evidence brought on record clearly establish a sustained attitude of causing humiliation and calculated torture on the part of the wife to make the life of the husband miserable - Behaviour of the wife was cruel - The husband felt humiliated both in private and public life -

He was treated as an unperson - It created a dent in his reputation - With this mental pain, agony and suffering, the

husband cannot be asked to put up with the conduct of the wife”

NO sermon is warranted on misuse of the law to harass the citizens/relatives etc.

The employer shall not be able to justify its conduct.

Moreover the employer in question is a PSU.

>>> Has the management asked you to settle the case or face termination, in writing?

Do you have any evidence/witness or have you minuted the threat of termination?

Your lawyer may opine to approach HC to prevent  the management  from termination/stay the termination.

The person whose legal right is affected has a right to appeal.

In addition to your lawyer/counsel, Work’s committee chairman/grievance redressal committee/employee’s union leaders/trade unions leaders you may also approach the forums that advice victims (husbands) of  matrimonial disputes……………………………………..Approach everyone and thwart the attempts of your estranged wife and management to terminate you.

>>> I am sending some relevant and useful links including judgments.

The organisations can counsel and guide you.

You may consult your Labor Consultant/Service Lawyer.  

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     01 September 2014

As long as criminal case is pending the Vigilance officer of PSU will not certify

"No disciplinary or criminal case pending"

without this certificate there is no option for probation committee to recommend non-confirmation.

If you would have obtained quashing of FIR then things would have been much different.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     01 September 2014

Since you have reported the bail to the deptt so you have averted another action against you.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     01 September 2014

“ Govt. can not cancel the appointment if 498a or criminal case is pending”.

The link to the judgement has been sent to you.

At this moment one thing that you should remember is that: 'Everyone including your once admiring and revered bosses, management' are now opponents and are to be treated like opponents..........................of course carefully................................and you should remain remain amiable ,gentle...........................composed. They have already initiated to treat you as opponent..........................hence the probation has been extended.

Don't forget to obtain copies of appraisal/ACR and also demand to let you examine your personnel file and get access to notes and notings that has lead to extension of probation period and determine it is due to 498a or some other comment e.g................................'Unsatisfactory performance' 

At this moment one thing that you should forget and ignore is :'The tantrums of this vigilance person' and focus on what shall suit your interest.................................and defend your interest.

At this moment one thing that you should do is that:' Approach your lawyer and cover all loopholes that you might have left'................................in writing under proper acknowledgment.................................and seek counsel of other forums link of which has been sent to you.

I am sending you another link by PM.

Record all calls/meetings (audio/visual).

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     02 September 2014

seen your other thread

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=97094&offset=1#.VAUe6KOO5G0

On this thread you have intimated that chargehseet is not yet filed in court.

This appears to be silver lining in dark.  You should immediately meet your vigilance department and plead that vigilance clearance may be issued.  No harm meeting them all are human.

You have no time to enter in litigation.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register