LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Tanny   12 December 2016

Sale deed versus deed of assignment

While buying a resale property in a co-operative housing society, I have differing opinion on whether a "sale deed" is appropriate of a "deed of assignment" is appropriate. I consulted several people from legal profession and opinion seems to be divided with some saying Sale Deed is mandatory, some saying Deed of Assignment is ok and some even suggesting rather absurdly - "you tell us what you want and we will do that for you".

My question is - I am looking for specific guidance of whether I register my agreement with a Sale Deed or with a Deed of Assignment. Please can you guide.

Learning

10 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     13 December 2016

First draft  asale deed and thendraft  adeed of Assignment and register both of them.If you appreciate this answer please give me all my profile likes.

Kishor Mehta (CEO)     13 December 2016

Sir/Madam, A person can enter into a sale deed when he/she owns the property absolutely, a deed of assignment is prepared when he/she has only rights of occupancy and he/she assigns the right of occupancy. Good luck, Kishor Mehta

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 December 2016

Agreed with Mr. Kishore Mehta.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     13 December 2016

In real property transactions, a deed of assignment is a legal document that transfers the interest of the owner of that interest to the person to whom it is assigned, the assignee. When ownership is transferred, the deed of assignment shows the new legal owner of the property.

An "absolute sale" deed is defined by having no conditions attached to the sale except the buyer's payment of the purchase price. When the seller signs and delivers the absolute sale deed, this is generally recognized by law as the moment of sale.

Tanny   13 December 2016

Thank you for explaining the difference between a Sale Deed and a Deed of Assignment. However could you explain in my case which is the one I would go for?

rajeev sharma (Advocate Ex senior manager law )     13 December 2016

please ask reseller what document the builder has executed in his favi\our .if it is sale deed then dont compromise get sale deed executed in your favour

Tanny   13 December 2016

even the seller has a deed of assignment from his previous purchase. In that case will a sale deed or a deed of assignment be appropriate?

Adv. K.S.A.Narasimha Rao (legalquestadvisor@gmail.com )     13 December 2016

Dear Tanny,

Basing on the rights possessed by your prospective seller, the nominclature of the document depends on.

If your Prospective Seller is having only right of possession in respect of the property, then he can only make a deed of Assignment. But if your Seller is having absolute powers to sell the flat, then you can use nominclature as "Sale Deed".

Kumar Doab (FIN)     13 December 2016

Kindly clarufy if the deed of assignment be cancelled by assignor.

Aseem Koradia   15 December 2016

The name of document is immaterial. The content of the document will remain the same. interpretation will be from the content of the document.

Aseem Koradia

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register