Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

B.C.Angarai (None)     28 August 2010

Sale Deed/Settlement Deed between married sisters?

I am a married lady.  My father has made a Family Arrangement Deed(not registered) for dividing a plot of

land(2400 sft) in CHENNAI, among his 4-married-daughters and subsequently 4-flats were constructed there.

Now if one daughter wants to sell her 1/4-undivided-share (i.e) 1-flat, to another daughter, what is that deed is

called? Is it called sale-deed (or) Family settlement deed? (or) by any other name? Should it be registered?

Kindly answer this query at the earliest. Thanks.

Learning

2 Replies

mitheylars (Solicitor)     28 August 2010

Hi Mate

The plots automatically belongs to all the four daughters with equal share  even though the deed has not registered. I suggest you to first registered the deed then if anyone wants to sale to others the it becomes sale deed.If you do not want to register the deed then it would be a settlement deed between your four daughters.You can do it in either ways.

conveyancing fees

R.Ranganathan (Advocate)     12 September 2010

You say that there is only a family arrangement. whether it is your father's self acquired property or ancestral. If you want to save money then you can go for settlement deed otherwise sale deed. But the deeds even if it is a settlement deed it has to be registered. Otherwise it will not have any value at all. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register