Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

kauser (none)     23 July 2010

SURNAME

Hi,

My husband does not uses his surname instead he writes his fathers name. So after marriage i had to write his first name as my last name ( as i could not take his last name (which is his fathers name ) as my surname) but i want our kids to use his actual surname as i dont want them to be without a surname as there is a lot of complications for school admissions etc. their birth is registered but the name column is left blank so can i add their surname along with their name in the birth certificate ? but father and mother name would not have the same surname infact we all will have different last names. is it okay legally ? also will there be any problem for getting passports and other imp docs.

pls reply ASAP

Learning

5 Replies

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     23 July 2010

yes it is legally ok.

show your marriage crtificate, it will work.

(Guest)

A surname is picked from parents to son / daughter to granchild of son and so on so forth till marriage if for daughter and for sons it continues and in some States expecially South India they write father's first name as their surname and grandfather's name as surname.

My curiosity here is if husband has surname of his father's first name then how his surname will be diferrent as made to ask here for his children?.

Illustration for general understanding say:

Husband first name say "Aslam"
Your FIL's full name including his surname  say "Adil Riyami"
And your given name is "Kausar" before marriage
Here Husband writes his full name as "Aslam Adil"....... which you say in your post say.....right !
Now you further say after marriage you picked your Husband's first name instead of his Surname which from abv. illustration is your FIL's first name ........right so........
You after marriage address yourself as "Kausar Aslam" say if this much is right as example then.....

Now que. here is you want kids to use your "husband's actual surname" so if above understanding illustrative of your post que. is correct then your husband's actual surname is "Adil" which your children should be using, so where is the issue I didnot get it !! ??

May be I missed something here (PS - I failed in logics)

Ld. members may educate me with their say indirectly helping your post reply  :-)

Rgds.

kauser (none)     24 July 2010

Hi,

thanks for the reply , half way u have understood correctly .... but for the kids part i want them to use the surname " Riyami" not Adil or Aslam ....So is tht legally possible and will they have any problem procuring other legal docs like passport , pan card etc.... also as i said the name column in their birth certificate is left blank so can i register their name as .... say for son Ozair Riyami and daughter Zahra Riyami where as mother name is Kauser Aslam and Fathers name is Aslam Adil.... ALL DIFF SURNAMES ???????

(Guest)

Well in my opinion I understood your que. full way not half way by your reply post !

Your children surname should now be "Adil" not "Riyami" which is your FIL's surname as it is neither their father's and or mother's given surname after marriage.

But, still make a last check with a knowledgeable family lawyer IN PERSON telling him about school / passport / pan / election card (future legal docs) related issues and then do the needful. Also show him Muslim Marriage Contract Certificate too where both parents full names are mentioned for clarity.

But yes, you are so right all 4 or should I add all 5 surnames are different !

All the best.
Rgds.
PS.: A request if your children's surname issue gets solved by correct legal advise do update here for my education purpose too. Thanks.

kauser (none)     24 July 2010

MY children's surname should be Riyami which is the actual family surname .... not Adil which is my FIL 'S name .... thts what i want to know about the legal implications ....any lawyer out here to advise..............

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register