LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raj (abcd)     06 August 2013

Role of working wife

I would like to know according Indian law / marriage act (Hindu), what is the role of working wife in her married life? Is there any right of husband or children on her earning?

Because she is spending more than half day for her job and whole family is adjusting according to her ease in this.... like husband taking care of child.. husband cooking at home .... Nobody at home when husband comes back from his office.... husband and wife hardly meet in working days......

After all this ...If you say it is her earning….. she has every right to own her earning and  it is husbands duty to take care of  all expenses.... then what is role of wife... how  working wife is helping the family....

Above all today’s working wife have their own personal life, friends and colleagues... and say husband is not supposed to ask anything about it....

What is left in the marriage…. Why such people marry…?? Let me tell you ..In India these problem and situations realised only after marriage…. when it is too late...

And divorce laws… my god..husband can’t even dream about it…

Poor husbands…..

I think there should be a compulsory coaching class to all people before they get marry about all marriage and divorce laws…. 

Learning

6 Replies

sanjay kumar (BE/ LLM in Corporate Laws)     06 August 2013

It is not clear whether this is your experience or just an observation. The status of a marriage can be governed by law but the law cannot run the marriage. For example, you can set up a company through law but law cannot run your company..you have to run it with your common sense. Ditto with marriage.

All marriages where wife is not working are also not successful..and all marriages where wives are working are not disasters....as more and more men are opting for working wives shows that this system is working and growing.

As regards, wives income, generally the household expenses are met thru husband's salary. The wife's salary is  a saving after she has spend something on her own wish...wives generally save and conrtibute in property purchase, vehicle purchase etc.

Its all a matter of understanding..nothing else.

Thank you for reply....

but still... 

why it is not possible to treat wifes salary as income to family.... why it is treated as her personal ?? 

First of all why the "personal" word comming in here... I think according to hindu marriage.. after marriage there isnt any individuality.. and individual perosnal life of married couple.... everybody has there role in it. whihc are completely dependent....

But when things get deviate form normal things like working wife ... there should be some special cluses... and nobody should say it is mine....

I agree that law cannot run the marraige... In that case why these divorce law talk about wht happened during our married life... like how much earned ... where invested.... that too only out of husbands earnings...

One of the post in this website I read that the law says... whatever wife earned during her married life is of her own... and nobody can claim on it. 

My question is when she is also working as part of family (leagally no one can stop her.)... how does it matters how it is spent... why only husbands salary for general expenses and wife salary for saving.. which she tells after divorce it is all only hers....???

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Raj

Thank you for reply....

but still... 

why it is not possible to treat wifes salary as income to family.... why it is treated as her personal ?? 

First of all why the "personal" word comming in here... I think according to hindu marriage.. after marriage there isnt any individuality.. and individual perosnal life of married couple.... everybody has there role in it. whihc are completely dependent....

But when things get deviate form normal things like working wife ... there should be some special cluses... and nobody should say it is mine....

"Jo tera he woh mera he.. jo mera he woh tera is an Airtel jingle."

Surprisingly marriage works on the same tunes ! 

The line tells that there is so much understanding between the two that whatever mine is yours, whatever yours is mine.   Thats how marriage need to work.

If there is no understanding, no law cannot do anything.

Something is amiss in your married life.

Try to know what is it that is hurting her or making her be so.  That is the only solution my friend. 

(Guest)

@ Author,

It's virtue of god that we have born in India,where marriages are called to be immortal like the laws of divorce and both of them crushes every hour 40% population of entire India.It's not you or me who are suffering through the bad side of the judiciary system.But it's in mases throughout the country. When there is biased laws favouring married women now nothing shorter to be added as 2 more acts of rape and molestation against woemen at working place been activated.

Iam not against these biased laws but the proceeding and citation in these laws are very poor,where an innocent also gets trapped by such laws. Its mere theorotical laws rather than practical laws. A mere word of woman can make a man arrest on these biased laws. Shame on our countrys law makers and it's procedures.

Now,come to the original discussion---------Role of working wife in the marriage institutions.

Sorry to say the duty and responsibilities are hyphothetical to both men and women these days.No body knows what he/she wants from his/her life.It's totally radical point of view where one is earning and other is home making.

Gone are the days when husband used to do labour for earning,don't get confused with labour word here as one who do labour work,Iam higlighting these bcz labour is co-related with men as they are hard and have stamina to work outside for the well beings of entire famile.And it other part the women who are softer and tedile in nature are made to look her husband,kids and family.

But after globalization and thanks sarv shiksha abhiyaan ---all are entitled to get right to study till 14.Which is a better contribution for the growth of economy in India.The economy increases due to equality in job and qualifications as no dicriminations against gender is supressed,but today's women are becoming educated not for proffessionalism rather than for getting influenced with gender biased laws favouring women.

They become even more smarter after getting educated and proffessionals that they forget the real meaning of women......

A disaster to the society as well as a spiritual relationship of marriage.

Thanks & regards,

A sufferer......

1 Like

(Guest)

@Raj, the strategy / feelings of life would be nothing yours and nothing mine. Everything is ours only between spouses/ in family. A correct example of love and affection between spouses / in family: If you have time, I would say to just go and visit a place where a couple / family stay in a very small hut and striving for their survival everyday where both of them go together for job / labor work, work together at a place, earn some little money for a day, spend on them for evening food, eat happily and wait for next day to come to fight for survival of life. There you will never see an argument arise between both spouses that it is your money, that is my money. They love that evening when they are taking dinner together by the money they had earned for that day. It's purely a matter of understanding between both the spouses.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register