LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dhanasekaran R (SSE)     14 October 2011

Renting house to a foreigner

I am planning to rent my flat to a foreigner who are basically from Maldives. Regarding this I have some  questions.

1. Is there any legal problems in renting the flat to a foreigner. ?

2. What are the documents I need to check before I proceed with them further. ?

3. Do I need to include any special points in the agreement along with the normal ones. ?

4. If the tenant involves in any criminal activity whether the house owner will  also be liable ?

If yes, what are the precautionary measures I need to take to avoid any future problems.

Thanks in Advance...!

Learning

7 Replies

M.Sheik Mohammed Ali (advocate)     15 October 2011

just made out normal rental agreement and mentioned that he is foreigner then mentioned your near area police station that above said tenant details. that enough.

Sh. P Suresh (For To By Green Kindness Perpetuity Selfsustainability Always)     29 October 2011

Delhi has 'Tenant verification process". If that is applicable in this case, that itself will take care of all the questions.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     03 December 2011

You have not stated your profession.  If you/your spouse is emloyee of Govt/PSU/Semi-Govt you cannot contract with foreign national without prior permission of the department. You have also not specified the status of your prosepctive tenant. Whether ordinary person or diplomat. If diplomat and if he does nto pay the rent then who are you going to sue.

sanil (assistant manager)     10 October 2013

Sir,

What Law or act dictates that govt employees need to take permission from their Dept prior to leasing their flats on rent to a foreigner.

Amit   05 May 2016

Dear Sir,

I am also going to rent my house to foreigners. Please help in case any additional formality needs to be taken care of.

Will House Owner be liable for any wrong doing by tenants. Its an independent house, thats why I am more concerned.

TIA

adv.bharat @ PUNE (Lawyer)     05 May 2016

1) Police verification is must for tenant in local police station is must before giving house on rent.

2) If ur government employee then government permissionis require before giving ur room on rent. Also take C form from the tenant. If tenant is diplomat then u cant sue him.

3) There is no such legal rule wrt giving room on rent to foreigner provided follow point 1. & 2.

4) The photo ID proof , Address proof and two reference from his local residence need to be considered, mobile no etc document require from tenant.

5) As per mutually agreed by both party decide Terms of reference of agreement. No need to incorporate special terms for the contract.

6) Law state that who ever do wrong act will be responsible for his own act and no other will be responsible for it. Owner is not responsible for any wrong act done by tenant.

Thanks

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     06 May 2016

Originally posted by : sanil

Sir,

What Law or act dictates that govt employees need to take permission from their Dept prior to leasing their flats on rent to a foreigner.

read conduct rules applicable to govt servants.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register