LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Bina (none)     09 December 2008

Relevancy of divoce

Haryana deputy CM Chander Mohan Bishnoi, a Hindu married father of 2 children. Can’t marry without divorce, so he come with innovative idea. Now became Muslim appear as Chand Mohammad married a Brahmin girl Anuradha Bali now begum Fiza.

Chandigarh (IANS): Haryana Deputy Chief Minister Chander Mohan was on Sunday dropped from the Bhupinder Singh Hooda cabinet for absenting from office without information. The announcement came hours after he emerged from his month-long hiding and admitted he had married again.

Chander Mohan, the elder son of former chief minister Bhajan Lal, was dropped from the cabinet as he has not attended his office for more than 50 days without informing the chief minister, an official spokesman said.

He also held the food and civil supply portfolio for nearly four years.

The official announcement did not refer to his comments to the media earlier in the day.

Chander Mohan told the Star News TV channel: "Yes, I have married my love Anuradha Bali alias Fiza five days back. We have also converted to Islam to become eligible for the second marriage and I have changed my name to Chand Mohammad."

"I have a deep interest in the Islam and have read about it thoroughly," he added.

Chander Mohan's first wife and their two sons live in Bhajan Lal's residence in Panchkula, around 10 km from here.

There were speculations that Chander Mohan, four-time legislator, had gone on a religious trip or that he was not well.

He told the news channel: "I went on a long religious trip and I visited so many places during my trip that it is not possible to tell you the names of all those places. But I constantly remained in touch with my parents and with my friends and well-wishers."

He admitted that his second marriage 18 years after his first could adversely affect his political career. But "political positions come and go in life but I do not care for them. I just followed my heart without any external pressure," he added.

Anuradha, a former assistant advocate general of Haryana, was divorced 13 years ago.

"Chander Mohan is a kind hearted person. People of Haryana have full faith in him. I do not think that this marriage would tarnish his political image. We have full conviction in the Islamic culture and now onwards will follow its principles," Anuradha told the TV channel.

https://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/001200812072178.htm

Learning

6 Replies

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     09 December 2008

Its not an innovative one Bina, Just a crucked pasting.

Rakesh (Juris Doctor (J.D.) student)     09 December 2008

VIOLATION OF HINDU MARRIAGE ACT, FAMILY SYSTEM- PUBLIC TRUST & RESPECT OF HIGH OFFICE

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     09 December 2008

Dear Suresh Ji, with due respect to your views, I respectfully disagree with you, rather Bina has raised a very important issues. Can any man renounce his Religion for the sake of second marriage? I m not against any one but no one should commit a fraud upon the law. In the case of Skinner Vs Skinner (1879) 25 I.A. 34, 41: Lord Watson Observe: One of the many peculiar features of this suit does not depend on domicile but element of religious creed. Whether a change of religion made honestly after marriage with thr assent of both the spouses, without any intent to commit fraud upon the law will determined the mariage or divorce.

Here what we have to see is whether it is a b onafode conversion or just a game to commit  a fraud upon the law is important and will govern the issues. See also the case of Keolopati vs Harnam Singh (1936) 12 Luck 568, 581.

Suresh Ji , if your comment is on the DY.CM, I agree with you too.

Issue is also whether the Dy.C.M has committed treason or not? Interesting case on point is also the case of Skinner Vs orde (1871) 14 M.I.A 309.

K.C.Suresh (Advocate)     10 December 2008

I comment on Dy.CM and the Asst. AG brother. The conversion with an intent to defraud the law and the ommunity and more over his own family it is not an innovative idea. But it rather an act of fraud. I have taken the issue through that angle.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register