Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ali (Programmer)     09 June 2008

Registry Marriage

Hi,

I am a 26 year old Muslim man from Chennai wishing to marry a 26 year old Hindu girl from Mumbai. I am currently in US and the girl is in London, UK. We are both on work assignments in these countries. Due to some resistance from our parents we wish to come down to India on a particular date, get married and travel back to US. Can anyone please advise on what will be the fastest and the most convinient way for us to do this?

Thanks & Regards

Learning

4 Replies

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     09 June 2008

If you people do not want to convert to the other religion, the only way is to have a register marriage under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.

The necessary requirement is that the persons intending to marry inform the marriage officer of the district in which at least one of them lives. The marriage officer then posts the information on a public notice board and keeps it up for 30 days. During those 30 days, any person can object to the marriage on grounds such as the intended bride is under age or that she is too closely related to the bridegroom or that she has been married before. If no valid objections are received, the couple signs a declaration in the marriage office in the presence of three witnesses. The marriage officer then issues a certificate of marriage to the couple as proof of the marriage.

The copy of the Special Marriage Act is also attached for you reference.

Attached File : 15 the special marriage act.doc downloaded: 213 times

Ali (Programmer)     09 June 2008

Hi Yedhulaprakahs,

Thanks for your advise and for the document on the marriage act.

I had read somewhere else on this site that i can do the following:

"Marriage among Hindus or Muslims requires only a few minits. Only seven steps required before a secred fire. You Can Marry in Arya Samaji System. It takes Two hours and a marriage certificate is also given by them. Intercaste marraiage is possible by this system. This type of marriage is valid one".

Is this method possible?

Also, if it is absolutely no work around and there has to be a registry made in the court followed by a waiting period of 30 days, i was wondering if i could ask a friend of mine to initially do the registration (because both of us are not in India). We can afford to come to India only once and if it is possible for a friend or someone from the family to apply for registry, we can come down to India at the end of 30 days and get married then.

Please advise.

Manish Singh (Advocate)     10 June 2008

Mr. Prakash is absolutely right and note that its not a marriage which can be considered as an inter caste marriage.

you need to follow those steps under Special Marriage Act. else you better convert yourself into your spouse's religion and then perform marriage ceremony  according to her religion.

Srinivas.B.S.S.T ( Advocate)     07 August 2008

Special marriage Act covers marriage between any castes or sects provided the procedure mentioned by Sir Prakash is followed.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register