LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Instant judgment of a good lawyer

How to instantly Judge a lawyer as to whether he is good or not?

Following simple points must be noted in order to judge how good is a lawyer:

1.       1.If you meet a lawyer for the second time and if he keeps you waiting on flimsy grounds, never see his face again.

2.       2.If he brags about his achievements then never see his face. Good lawyers never brag.

3.      3. if you call him and he doesn’t return the call, never see his face.

4.       4.Even if he’s rude only once, withdraw your Power of Attorney and never see his face.

5.       5. If he cannot draft your case precisely, reduce paper work , never see his face.

6.      6. If he only points out negative things in your case without touching upon your positive points, never see his face.

7.     7.  If he quotes Latin Phrases never see his face.

8.     8.  If he’s not economical, try bargaining with him but be wary.

9.      9. If he ignores your suggestions and instructions ,never see his face

10.10.   If he only accepts cash without giving you a receipt or does not accept even a fraction by an A/C Payee check, never see his face

11.  11. Prior to meeting him FIND OUT ALL ABOUT HIS BACKGROUND IN CASE HANDLING like how many cases he has won and lost

Note: these are just few points. He includes She.

Learning

17 Replies

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     06 November 2011

Originally posted by :NINA [Attorney]
"  11. Prior to meeting him FIND OUT ALL ABOUT HIS BACKGROUND IN CASE HANDLING like how many cases he has won and lost

Nice points.

But how can we find out about his successes and failures in fighting cases,before meeting him,since we have never met his clients?

So how do we find out?

Please suggest..

(Guest)

Court Clerks[Various from lower courts upwards] , Litigants, His private secretary,internet court sites to view how much worload he/she has[orders etc on the net and otherwise. Menials in the court, stamp vendors, His college Dean/Professors,Cause lists. OLDTIMERS who are not HIGH TECH ARE THE BEST OF THE LOT.Hawkers outside court premises.

(Guest)

AND if when you meet him for the first time and he gets too many calls including those from Ministers NEVER EVER GO ANYWHERE NEAR HIM. Its all hoax stuff, I mean getting calls when you meet him for the first time.

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     06 November 2011

Nina, although you have given a perfect TIPS,  in my experience I bitterly discovered that even clerks and Judges prefer some advocates winning the case in their courts, and such prevailing practises lower the prestige of the court and legal fraternity. Remember this, it is the Advocates who argued in the court but it is the Judges that give the final verdict and mostly in their own way of thinking and not as per the arguments put forward by the Advocates in accordance with Law. At times I prefer the contennential systems of a Jury systems.

DEFENSE ADVOCATE.-firmaction@g (POWER OF DEFENSE IS IMMENSE )     06 November 2011

If you want to take benefit of legal system there is no measure of a perfect advocate. You want to cut costs and want results it will never come than this and similar sites are filled with complaints and complaints.

(Guest)

I don't mean offense to anyone. True clerks try to plant advocates who'll give them commission. But then I see courts as a Bazar where you bargain for the best. But again if judge is bad then there's nothing that an advocate can do. Jury system is simply atrocious and a bad judge is a better deal than a good jury.Contradictory but true.

In a nutshell, I've roughly pointed out what should client do to get a good advocate and some tips may or may not work. But one or two work for sure.

Pendyala Vasudeva Rao (Advocate)     06 November 2011

Plz don't compare  Court with Bazar. COurt is holiplace like Temlpe/Church/Masjid.

A. A. JOSE (LAWYER; LEGAL ADVISER/CONSULTANT& TRAINER)     06 November 2011

Listed points are really good  and interesting for reading.  However,  the hard reality is that one cannot find such a lawyer  possessing all such   admirable virtues and as such the client will be left with no option than engaging a Lawyer who may not meet with most of the requirements listed herein above.

(Guest)

lawyers are there to do daily livelihood... some do a dhandha out of it... but one needs to understand that the system is so lethargic and red taped even a sincere lawyer gets frustrated to do justice for a small matter also... it depends upon judge also who must be interested in the case to be disposed quickly... all other matters you have raised pertains not just lawyers but also everyone including you... nobody works for free... even charity today is a business... if you dont see his face you end up seeing even worse face... so have patience and watch how case is progressing... first impression could also be ego driven and disaster driven...

(Guest)

Srinivas: Thanks, I stand corrected. I really do appologise

(Guest)

Dear Srinivas,

I do agree on what you have to say. But I don't agree that lawyers should only work for free.Its their bread and butter. Do doctors work for free? LAWYERS WHO DO CHARITABLE WORK ARE DANGEROUS AS CHARITY ALWAYS BEGINS AT HOME.

(Guest)

no more charity... there are enough PPs vacant across india...

Pendyala Vasudeva Rao (Advocate)     06 November 2011

Lawers need not work free unless from court direction  in specific state briefs, but they do their work for not only

Livelyhood, also the the pillars of judiciary to protect justice to the society.

If the profession is in commercial type society will collapse.

(Guest)

its either business or corruption or letharthy or incredible india... the fact is our legal system is not in our hands... we are aware of pros and cons... keep walking...

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register