Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Need Help (Owner)     27 September 2010

Copyright for Celebrity Images

Hi,

If I purchase an image of a celebirty from "stock images company / photographer" who claim to have taken that picture and then If I publish this purchased image(s) onto a website in image gallery or an informative article. Can the celebrity file a copyright claim for not taking permission?

Please Advice,

Thanx

Learning

12 Replies

vijay sahni (LAW PROFESSIONAL )     27 September 2010

As long as the uses is non commercial..you can relax..

Need Help (Owner)     27 September 2010

What is the meaning of non-commercial in here?

vijay sahni (LAW PROFESSIONAL )     28 September 2010

The web site should be "
  • Not connected with or engaged in commercial enterprises

• non-profit-makingnonprofit (not commercially motivated)

• It does not distribute or otherwise make available for the personal benefit of any member any of its income.

Need Help (Owner)     28 September 2010

How about putting ads on the same page?

(Guest)

How come the seller was selling celebrity images for commercial gains? Nothing will happen to you as long as you do not muse the celebrity image in a mulilated form.

(Guest)

Non commercial means that the image should not be retouched and/or mulilated. Morever you should acknowledge the you purchased the image from a commercial seller and that the image is copyrighted automatically of it being that of a celebrity as celebrities come within the public domain. Study images in Encarta, Brittannica etc.

Need Help (Owner)     28 September 2010

So if I take a picture of a celebrity, then I hold the copyright for it and can sell the same for profit without  his/her permission? I understand that these can only be sold for editorial use.

(Guest)

Celebrities thrive on propaganda and pay heavily for promoting themselves. However for commercial use ,you have to acknowldge that you purchased it from the source from where you purchased it. DO NOT MUTILATE OR RETOUCH THE IMAGE AS THAT'LL LAND YOU IN TROUBLE. What is editorial use?

Bayya Reddy (Legal executive )     29 September 2010

if you want to publish the images/phots for making profit better to take permision from the celebrities.............to aviod further proceeding under Court of Law.....

(Guest)

Find out if the seller of these images took the permission from the celibrities. Under S 102 of the Indian Evidence Act ,the burden of proof for the celebrity for proving that you did not buy them from a profiteer lies with the said celebrity.

Need Help (Owner)     30 September 2010

Originally posted by :BONDGAL2010
"
How come the seller was selling celebrity images for commercial gains? Nothing will happen to you as long as you do not muse the celebrity image in a mulilated form.
"

So creating computer desktop wallpapers from these purchased images would be a voilation? Most of the stock images agencies do allow the subscribers to remove the background from the said image.

Need Help (Owner)     30 September 2010

Originally posted by :BONDGAL2010
"
Find out if the seller of these images took the permission from the celibrities. Under S 102 of the Indian Evidence Act ,the burden of proof for the celebrity for proving that you did not buy them from a profiteer lies with the said celebrity.
"

The seller/agencies hold a lot of images which are given to them to help promote movies which the celebrities maybe working in. Other images are randomly shot by photograpers at some event. I don't think celebrities would have enough time to entertain these photographers for documented permission.  

Other question is that If I take photo of the celebrity in public or in person, Do I not hold the ownership/copyright to sell or distribute that image? I believe it is my own work and I should be able to sell or purchase these images.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register