LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sameer (test)     16 December 2011

Common survey numbers multiple owners

We inherited 10 acres land from my father who in turn inherited from his father. We registered the land recently and when we went to take measurements with a surveyor, the surveyor found that there is another 10 acres in the same survey numbers that is owned by another family from the village. It looks like my grandfather and another person bought this together 60 years ago and split it equally amongst themselves.

There are 3 survey numbers for this land and according the passbooks, it looks like the land in each survey number is equally split between us and the other family. The way we have been using our land is very different than how it is split in the survey numbers. We have been using  the north half 20 acres and they have been the south half of the 20 acres, even though the survey numbers have mapped the land differently.

What is the legal way to get the survey numbers changed so the maps show how we are using the land? Not sure if I explained it well but if it needs further clarification, I can provide them. Thanks for your help.

Learning

3 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     16 December 2011

File an application before the concerned revenue officer to measure the lands and prepare new map according to your use.

(Guest)

file a petition along with your sale deed to the survey department with requisite fees for sub-division.  They will survey the land and allot a new sub-division no from  the whole Survey no.

sameer (test)     16 December 2011

Thanks for the replies. We don't have the sale deed as we inherited through my grandfather and father. The other family also inherited through their grandfather and father. It seems back in the day, their grandfather and our grandfather purchased it together.

Also, our portion of the land has been valued at a much higher rate than their portion of the land. They had stated once they would want to go by the survey numbers as I believe they want to get a portion of the high value land. But we objected stating that both of us need to split according to how we have been using the land for 50 years.

What application do we need to file to the revenue officer? Do we need to get a lawyer and if so what type of lawyer should we go to? Please explain more details as we are new at this.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register