About 2 months back I did an online transaction for an electronic money order of Rs. 3000/- value. The transaction was done on the web page of e-post office, an online post office facility. What actually took place was as follows:
1. I registered on the web site and provided all details required for payment (beneficiary, my address, etc.).
2. When the payment page came up, I provided my credit card details on the secure page and the system then took that data and debited my credit card for Rs. 3200/- that included a whopping Rs. 200/- as commission for their services.
3. The system did not successfully return me back to the merchant site after the above process. As I wanted to check if the transaction reported success, I logged in again to the e- post office site, and found the system saying the transaction was FAILED.
4. Some 3 days later my credit card statement showed that the amount of Rs. 3200/- had however got debited from my account. I immediately called up a telephone number of e- post office in New Delhi, asking them to either refund the amount I paid, or convert the transaction to success. They said they would look up the system and let me know soon.
5. In the meantime as time was running out for the payment (it was for a room reservation in a Govt guest house), I arranged to directly remit Rs. 3000/- at a local post office counter. After a week, in response to my phone call, some person called me from e- post office in New Delhi and said he was refunding the amount of 3200/- in a week's time.
To date, even after 2 months I have not received the amount refunded to my credit card account. I want to know if I can I register a case of cheating u/s IPC 420 against this dubious e- post office at my local police station?