LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sidharth (na)     05 August 2015

Power of attorney

I have to get a POA from abroad from my sister. She wants to give a POA for just filing or contesting any legal suits/cases that is in her name. She has few properties and investments in India.

Can she frame a POA stating that she appointa me to handle any cases that is presently in court or that can occur in future relating to any movable and immovable properties in India which she is in possession right now or may posses in future? 

She will not be mentioning details of her property/banks/case numbers, etc in POA. She does not want me to have right to sell or buy properties or investments.

If a POA as mentioned above is possible, does this make it general or specific POA?

Learning

4 Replies

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     05 August 2015

Yes she can give U a special POA for that specific purpose only.

DR. DIMPLE JINDAL (ADV.) (Advocate)     05 August 2015

This specific POA must be signed by the Embassy of that country to give validation to that poa in India.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     06 August 2015

It would depend upon the purpose of appointment i.e., Attorney whether SPA or GPA.

If your sister wants to appoint you as her attorney for a specific (court case) she will have to send a SPA, otherwise GPA, duly notarised from there itself. 

sidharth (na)     06 August 2015

Thank you all for your reply.

She wont be mentioning case number, she wants to appoint me as her attorney specifically for all case related to her properties. Give me right to file a case if someone tries to enchroach her property or to hire an attorney or appear in court for any case against her. In this case is it GPA? She wont be giving me full control of her properties like to sell or withdraw money from bank, etc.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register