Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

TroubledIndian (Marketing)     20 May 2017

Possible to modify wording of a divorce certificate?

Hi,

My Divorce Certificate mentions "Harassment" by groom as a Reason for the Divorce. Can I get it corrected/ modified? or can I get another official certificate from Government/ Court confirming my Divorce with my ex-wife?

Details:  My first wife and I got divorced and Court approved it after we settled all matters (financial etc) outside the court between both parties. Her lawyer put up a reason "Harassment" for the break up. Though we objected it but the lawyer said thats the process to get Divorce quickly and told us not to go to Court so that we would be issued Divorce Certificate. We didn't go to court, divorce issued.

There are two other agreement papers which confirm financial settlement and mutual consent etc but the problem is -- the main Divorce Certificate says "Harassment" by groom as one of the reason to issue the Divorce. There was no harassment, it was by mutual consent after settling all financial and other matters outside the court.

Can I get it corrected/ modified? or can I get another official certificate from Government/ Court confirming my Divorce with ex-wife?

Please advise. Thanks for your time.

Learning

6 Replies

(Guest)

Be happy you got divorce.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the problem. I married again recently. I am NRI, live in Australia. I need to apply for my wife's visa so that she can come over here from India and live with me. For this, I need to prove that my previous marriage was broken down legally which requires me to submit my Divorce certificate to the government.

But if the Divorce certificate says "Harassment", it may not go down well with the officials because "man harassed female" would be seen as a serious crime here and I am worried how they will respond to our visa application. Hope you have understood my concern regarding this.

So I need to prove that my first marriage was legally disolved without any bad remarks on the certificate. Can you please suggest? Thank you for your time.

Best wishes.

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     20 May 2017

Whatever the reason might be. Atlast you got divorce order. Be happy with the order. 

Originally posted by : Rama chary Rachakonda
Whatever the reason might be. Atlast you got divorce order. Be happy with the order. 

Sir,

Thanks for the reply. I am happy with the order.

is it possible to get a certificate (or a letter) from the Court (or a government body) which confirms "my previous marriage was disolved" (without the word harassment)?

Thanks.

TroubledIndian (Marketing)     22 May 2017

Originally posted by : Amisha Trivedi K. E.
Yes it is possible to get corretion done.

Thank you mam. Very much appreciate your response. Hope you are ok if I contact you via Phone (given on your profile). Regards.

sai narayana   23 May 2017

Approach the same court for correction.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register