Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gaurav Agarwal (Engineer)     09 March 2013

Police investigation stage in 498a (after fir and ab)

Hi All,

In my case, an FIR has been registed under section 498a and 406 by mahila thana in udaipur under direction from magistrate court. Please can someone tell me after getting AB, what is the exact procedure during the police investigation stage? (Especially when 2 different cities are involved). I am from Pune and wife is from Udaipur

1) Is it a must for me and my relatives to go to Udaipur police station to give our statements?

2) How many times will we have to go there??

3) What will happen if we don't go there? Will the consequence only be that it will be a one sided chargesheet? Or could there be much graver consequences like the police taking some other action against us (in spite of us having AB)?

4) I understand that when summons come from a court then we have to attend the court or have our lawyer represent us, else a warrant can be issued. But what about summons from police station or IO for investigation? How do summons from police need to be tackled?

Regards,
--Gaurav

Learning

4 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     09 March 2013

Dear Querist

as per section 160 of Crpc the police have power to summon witnesses 

160. Police Officer’s power to require attendance of witnesses.

(1) Any police officer making an investigation under this Chapter may, by order in writing, require the attendance before himself of any person being within the limits of his own or any adjoining station who, from the information given or otherwise, appears to be acquainted with the facts and circumstances of the case; and such person shall attend as so required:

Provided that no male person under the age of fifteen years or woman shall be required to attend at any place other than the place in which such male person or woman resides.

(2) The State Government may, by rules made in this behalf, provide for the payment by the police officer of the reasonable expenses of every person, attending under sub-section (1) at any place other than his residence.

157. Procedure for investigations.

(1) If, from information received or otherwise, an officer in charge of a police station has reason to suspect the commission of an offence which he is empowered under section 156 to investigate, he shall forthwith send a report of the same to a Magistrate empowered to take cognizance of such offence upon a police report and shall proceed in person, or shall depute one of his subordinate officers not being below such rank as the State Government may by general of special order, prescribe in this behalf, to proceed, to the spot, to investigate the facts and circumstances of the case, and, if necessary to take measures for the discovery and arrest of the offender:

Provided that-

(a) When information as to the commission of any such offence is given against any person by name and the case is not of a serious nature, the office in-charge of a police station need not proceed in person or depute a subordinate officer to make an investigation on the spot;

(b) If it appears to the officer in charge of a police station that there is sufficient ground for entering on an investigation, he shall not investigate the case.

(2) In each of the cases mentioned in clauses (a) and (b) of the proviso to sub-section (1), the officer in charge of the police station shall state in his report his reasons for not fully complying with the requirements to that sub-section, and, in the case mentioned in clause (b) of the said proviso, the officer shall also forthwith notify to the informant, if any, in such manner as may be prescribed by the State Government, the fact that he will not investigate the case or cause it to be investigated.

Feel Free to Call

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate)

Chember No. D-720, Karkardooma Court, Delhi

email : nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com

web:    nadeemqureshi498a.webs.com

Mob: +91  9953809956

+91 8802305262

Aashish George (lawyer)     09 March 2013

join the investigation as much as possible, and if you dont go then it can be taken up against you in court that u did not join investigation. if u have ab then police cant arrest you without court orders and if ab is coming along with conditions you cannot afford to violate those conditions. plz, hire a lawyer!! the lawyer will take care of your matter instead of you worrying about it.

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     09 March 2013

What will happen if we don't go there? Will the consequence only be that it will be a one sided chargesheet? Or could there be much graver consequences like the police taking some other action against us (in spite of us having AB)

if the condition of AB order is not fulfill the court can not give you another relief and it may be possible to dismiss/canceal your AB.

abhishek (advocate)     09 March 2013

you should join the investigation and i suggest you to go for FIR quashing, there is no harm in trying it

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register