Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

Persons giving dowry should also be made accused in dowry pr

Persons giving Dowry should also be made Accused in Dowry prohibition case

A perusal of the complaint would show that as per allegations dowry demand was made even before marriage i.e. at the time of engagement and an AC was demanded from her father by her in-laws and her father had assured that AC would be given at the time of marriage. However, she told her father You have given car and AC at the demand of in laws, what will happen if they demand a flat tomorrow?. Despite her this conversation with her father and despite her knowing that dowry demand had already been made, she married in the same family irrespective of the fact that she was well-educated lady and was an engineer and her brother was in police. In fact, these kinds of allegations made after breakdown of the marriage show the mentality of the complainant. I consider where these kinds of allegations are made, the police should simultaneously register a case under Dowry Prohibition Act (in short the 'Act') against the parents of the complainant as well, who married their daughter despite demand of dowry. Section 3 of the Act prohibits giving and taking of dowry. If a woman of grown up age and well educated gets married to a person despite dowry demand, she and her family becomes accomplaice in the crime under Dowry Prohibition Act.

Delhi High Court
Smt. Neera Singh vs The State (Govt. Of Nct Of Delhi) ... on 23 February, 2007
Equivalent citations: 138 (2007) DLT 152, I (2007) DMC 545

Learning

2 Replies

Rajendra K Goyal (Advocate)     26 May 2013

A very useful information with citation.

RAJIV BHASIN (ADVOCATE) (Bhasin Legal Consultants(SOLICITORS & ADVOCATES) bhasin.laws@yahoo.com 9811210505)     26 May 2013

It is clearly mentioned in dowry prohibition act, who so ever takes and paid dowry are equally guilty.

Rajiv Bhasin

Advocate

Bhasin & Associates

bhasin.laws@yahoo.com

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register