Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ramakrishna (Software Engineer)     19 December 2013

Partition deed for a joint property

Hello,

I am the co-owner of a property that is jointly owned with my mother-in-law.

Initially I was the sole owner and later I became the co-owner with a help of a gift deed of 50% undivided rights to my mother in law. We have constructed a house consisting 2 units on this property.

Now we have a mutual understanding that the house in ground floor belongs to mother in law and the house in top floor belongs to me. All the bills like Electricity and Water  and Khata are in the name of both of us.

Now is it mandatory to go for a partition deed? 

If we go for a partition deed, do we need to get the electricity water bills updated?

Do we need to get individual khata?

What happens to property tax? Should it be paid separately?

Note: The property is in Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.

Ramki

Learning

3 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     19 December 2013

it is better to execute Partition deed between yourself and your motherinlaw.   

Adv. K.S.A.Narasimha Rao (legalquestadvisor@gmail.com )     21 December 2013

Dear Ramakrishna,

It is not mandatory to have partition. But to avoid any future complications, it is advisable to have partition deed.

In case of Partition, it is advisable to get the mutation of Khata in municipal records, and also in the records of property tax assessment, records of electricity and Water Departments as per your respective entitlements. 

jayakumar.R (ADVOCATE & LEGAL CONSULTANT)     23 December 2013

Dear Mr.Ramakrishna, 

No Partition Deed is required because already absolute 50 % right for the both, if you want to avoid future complication get a "WILL" in favour of Your Wife. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register