LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ahd   31 May 2019

Office co-tenant may have conducted a fraud/illegal activity. need legal advice

Hi, I am in a bit of a puddle here and need some legal advice. Background We sub-letted a cabin in our rented office space to a co-tenant from another state (and since sub-letting is not permitted according to Maharashtra rental agreement laws, we had to use a workaround wherein we created a notarised document between us and the co-tenant stating that, we are providing you so and so desks/seats for a service fee). This co-tenant claimed that their company 'XYZ Floorings' was in the business of Tiles manufacturing and distribution and wanted to expand here. However, we were unable to do significant background check due to some reasons. Once the notarisation was done they started using the cabin space in our office. The issue 20 days later they left for their home state (and mentioned they'll be back in 1-2 weeks again) and after a while, I found a document in their cabinthat mentioned they had made a bulk order of 600 Prepaid SIM connections using our office address as well as their company ‘XYZ Floorings’ (perhaps a bulk SIM order made under some kind of Corporate program). Now, the notarised document that we did between us clearly stated that the office address was to be used only for communication purposes and any other usage was prohibited and will require a written permission from us. Another thing, I learned is that their company was not a registered company/LLP or anything else (I mentioned earlier, that I hadn't done significant background check). Most of their claims were false and they had cooked up an entire fake story for us to believe they were here for business expansion. After retrospecting and analysing the entire thing I can confidently say that they came here only for the purchase of those SIMs using our office address under the false pretence of business expansion. What I have a) Their Aadhar
 b) CCTV Recordings of my office c) Phone call recordings 
 d) The Ads that I had placed on Property sites 
 e) NOC from Owner for allowing us to sub-let the office
 f) A document that they left in the office haphazardly that includes details of the 600 SIMs and a purchase order on their company’s letterhead. g) The notarised document between us

My Questions
 a) I am not sure what they’re gonna do with those SIMs, my only concern is that how do I protect myself and steer clear of any problems coming my way? b) What should I do legally?

Learning

0 Replies

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register