Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Givemeabreak (business)     26 August 2015

Nri 498a trial

Dear members,

My wife has filed 498A and DV act 3 and 4 cases on me and three of my other family members. Finally after 3 years and 8 months the case has come to the stage where our  examination was done two weeks ago. From my wife side including her there are 6 witnesses that nned to be cross examined which is due to start with in a week. I am an NRI and I have come to India 3 weeks ago for the sake of examination.

My questions are:

Do myself (A1) and rest of the accused A2-A4 need to appear in front of the court during the time of cross examination of LW1 to LW6? Or is there any way atleast I can get exempt from appearing infront of the court while A2-A4 will attend?

Since its very likely to happen that they (L1-L6) will make excuses to come for cross examination so that I will held up in India for long subsequently it could effect my job abroad.

Looking forward for any suggestions

Learning

5 Replies

SuperHero (Manager)     27 August 2015

If possible try for settlement out of court(Lumpsum) and get rid of this headache.

I wish other eminent lawyers can post there views or suggestions in this matter.

Givemeabreak (business)     27 August 2015

Hi Thanks for the reply. I know its easy to settle outside the court but as I have waited for almost 4 years and now the trial has began, I dont want to give in. I have decided to fight the case and I am confident that I will be aquitted as there are no proofs for the allegations made against me. What I am looking for is the possible ways(or loop holes) that I have leagally can use and avoid my appearence infront of the court when ever there is no need of my presence. 

Ofcourse when my presence is required, complying to the law I am ready to appear having no choice.

prabhakar advocate (advocate)     27 August 2015

@Givemeabreak,  the issue you raised is being faced by several accused who are embroiled in legal tussle with the wife and are facing criminal cases, like Section 498-A and Section 3&4 of D.P. Act and in some cases some mild sections of IPC.  The criminal law stipulates a condition that the cross examination of prosecution must be held in the presence of accused.  This is a fair procedure so that the accused cannot blame the judicial system at a later point of time that the evidence has been taken behind his back.  But this very same salutory provision is hurting several accused - whether they are innocent or nocent - is not the quetion.  There are several accused like you, who earn their bread by hardworking and if court insists their continuous presence to carry out the above said salutary provision, in fact, it is infringing the very fundamental right of the accused to earn his livelihood and live a decent life.  So, proper law should be that if the accused has got full faith in his counsel and says to the court that my counsel will appear at the time of the evidence (examination-in-chief as well as cross-examination) of the prosecution and I have full faith in him and I will not raise any challenge after the verdict is delivered by the court on the ground that the evidence has been taken behind my back and kindly exempt me to appear on every date of hearing.  The court should allow such plea.  Otherwise, it amounts to harassing the accused and also co-accused before they are convicted of the crime and also infringes their fundamental right to earn their livelihood.  This proposition should be followed by the criminal courts in simple criminal matters, where the punishment is less than 5 years and this principle cannot be used in cases of rape, robbery and murder.   Unfortunately, as your case is before the Magistrate, he is not empowered in law to pass such orders including permanent exemptions also once evidence starts.  So, the proper course of action in such matters is to approach the hon'ble High Court under Section 482 Cr.P.C. seeking to give such direction to the magistrate to exempt the accused to appear in criminal proceedings except on the date when he gives his own evidence.  What I suggest you is to approach the HC taking the point what I delved upon in larger and broader perspective.  If it is possible gater 5 to 10 people facing similar situation and file a combined petition in the H.C. so that not only yourself, several young people, who have been facing S.498-A cases and are forced to leave their jobs abroad and also other stations within the country to meet the needs of absurd criminal procedure system, which harasses the accused before conviction.  I hope and wish this shall be taken up in the High Court in large public interest.

Prabhakar(Advocate)

(M)9958670740

Legal Aid Panelist - Family Law-Central Delhi (Tis Hazari)  

SuperHero (Manager)     27 August 2015

@Givemebreak - You are a strong person. Good Luck to You. 

Prabhakar Sir has given a detailed answer. Thanks and appreciate your efforts on this point.

Hardik Mehta (Family Counsellor)     29 August 2015

Simple answer: No. You can file for the exemption for yourself till the time that you are required in the court. Moreover, it is advisible that one or more members to remain present in the court for the cross examination, to keep the tab on the body movements of the witnesses and to put the opposite side in fear.

If the opposite side makes excuses, just try and get the bailable and non bailable warrants.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register