LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

job searcher (manager)     23 March 2014

Non acceptance of resignation

I have resigned from XYZ company as I had got a job offer. However, I have given 1 month notice period but later I was informed of 3 month notice period which also I had agreed to adjust against earned leaves. Now they are giving weird reasons that relieving letter shall be given provided resignation is accepted by higher management which is too busy to approve it, they have given this reason for around a month now and are not  giving any other reason of not accepting resignation. My new employer has said it will require relieving letter as they have strong background checks. I am stuck between a rock and hard place, as I don't know after last day of employment as mentioned by me in resignation letter, should I continue to go office or sit at home waiting for relieving letter . HR persons have blocked my mail id , but on phone they are just saying not to worry as soon as resignation is accepted , relieving letter is issued. What to do ??? Urgent help required.. I hope that this issue gets solved quickly as going legal can take time which my new company is not ready for...

Learning

6 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     23 March 2014

The HR/Line Managers are acting to set a precedence to deter other employees, and as per Employer’s policy for them. They may not provide any relief to you.

Resignation can be without permission/notice. If option of notice pay in lieu of notice period is in service conditions then you may quote it. The employee can’t be held against his wishes. The employer may insist to serve the notice period if tasks are pending and employee is unwilling to indemnify the employer against any loss financial/or other that employer may suffer due to unfinished tasks……………….

The notice period (service conditions) is stated in standing orders (certified/model) applicable to the establishment and extended to the designation of employee, appointment letter, service rules and regulations mentioned in appointment letter.

Any change in service conditions (notice period) is to be properly communicated in writing by employer to employee and should be accepted/declined by employee in writing to take an effect.

Service conditions that are inconsistent with standing orders shall not survive.
If standing orders are applicable but are not certified then Model Standing Orders shall apply.

As per Model Standing Orders: 

Sec;13; Notice Period applicable to Probationer is NIL and to a confirmed employee it is 1 month.

Sec 16, service certificate should be supplied to all employees.

You may mention in writing under proper acknowledgment that as on date no tasks/assignments are pending at your end and now onwards routine duties may be assigned that can be completed on day to day basis within and up to last date/day in office i.e. dated………………….and to whom you should handover the charge, and notice pay be adjusted in FNF statement and it may be sent to you for verification and acceptance.

30 days by all counts should be sufficient for employer to put his house in order and induct replacement.

If notice period stated in appointment letter issued to you is 1 month and no change in it is ever communicated to you and accepted by you then instead of remaining entangled with HR you should submit a representation to good offices of appointing authority, MD, Chairman………………….in writing under proper acknowledgment with a copy to you and you should obtain POD also.

In this representation you must narrate all representations made so far by phone, in person, in writing with dates, names, phone numbers and brief minutes of discussion, and conclude that no change in notice period was ever communicated to you and accepted by you, and you may also ask why your official email id is blocked (IN a smart language it should mean that you have been relieved?). You may mention that your career, employability is affected.

It shall be appropriate if such representations are drafted by your lawyer.

If your company is commercial establishment and you are covered by the def. of ‘employee’ then the Inspector under (Name of your state) Shops and Commercial Establishments Act ( Labor Inspector may be holding this charge too) may opine that max. notice period is 1 month.

Since without relieving letter next employer shall not absorb you it shall be futile to join without it. If you stop attending to office, the current employer may harass you by declaring you absconding or leveling some charge in its internal records and state so in BGV.

If notice period applicable to you is say 3 month’s the employer may not agree to adjust it against any leave.

However in FNF statement/settlement employer may encash earned leave, compute other payables and adjust notice pay.

If the good offices also do not provide sought relief then you have the option to reconsider your decision and remain in employment till 3 months and/or seek extension of joining time from next employer (preferably in writing) stating the reason.

You should have consulted your labor consultant/service lawyer at the first instance when HR commented that notice period applicable is 3 months and should acted then and there and should have resolved the matter within 1 month.

You may record the transactions with HR/Line managers (audio/visual).

You may approach a Labor Law consultants/Service Lawyers par along with copies of job advt, job application, interview call letter, offer letter, selection letter, appointment letter, CTC sheet, Salary Structure, Salary slips, STANDING ORDERS APPLICABLE TO THE ESTABLISHMENT (CERTIFIED/MODEL) AND EXTENDED TO YOUR DESIGNATION, HR policy, Service rules and regulations, Conduct and discipline rules, resignation notice, etc …………. Communications exchanged with company give inputs in person and proceed under the expert advice of your lawyer.

The lawyer that has examined all docs and inputs can advice you the best.

You have the option to approach:

----Employees Unions 

--- Trade Unions e.g; CITU, AITUC, INTUC, FMRAI ............................

--- Inspector: Shops and Commercial Establishments Act

--- O/o Labor Commissioner

----Lawyer/Law firm

---Civil Court

The problem is that they are not communicating anything in writing to me why my resignation is not accepted (is it notice period?) but say that it has gone for appointing authority for acceptance. I fear if I go legal way then it may take some more time which can sabotage the job offer I have. I keep on requesting them and they say it will happen but when they cannot commit.

Also the new company is not ready to accept any other undertaking except the relieving letter which effectively means that previous company can prolong acceptance of resignation and make me a slave.

The problem is that they are not communicating anything in writing to me why my resignation is not accepted (is it notice period?) but say that it has gone for appointing authority for acceptance. I fear if I go legal way then it may take some more time which can sabotage the job offer I have. I keep on requesting them and they say it will happen but when they cannot commit.

Also the new company is not ready to accept any other undertaking except the relieving letter which effectively means that previous company can prolong acceptance of resignation and make me a slave.

Ark Chatterjee (property advisor)     15 May 2014

Hi,

I've resigned from my previous company but they are not accepting my resignation... neither they are going to provide me any relieving letter or nothing. I've served resignation with immediate effective. I worked there for 6 months.  I've not received any confirmation letter after completion of 90 days and neither in my appointment letter any clause of notife period was mentioned. Plz suggest how can I tackle this situation. Pl urgently inbox me as soon as possible @ ark.chatterjee@gmail.com

Kumar Doab (FIN)     15 May 2014

@job searcher,

It is reiterated that; Resignation can be without permission/notice.

If they are not communicating in writing you may narrate all representations in writing mentioning dates, names, brief minutes of discussion.

Verbal transactions are difficult to prove.

Record (audio/visual).

The actual; problem is that employees are hesitant to unite, join employees’ unions, trade unions, approach lawyer/law firm, do not acquire skills to negotiate, persuade, persist, reason…………………………..

You are joining another employer at the T&C of other employer. It is getting benefitted. It should absorb you without acceptance of resignation letter, relieving letter……………preferably in writing and it should but out the notice period.

You may find another thread relevant;

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=102337&offset=0#.U3TlhEeBmXU

Kumar Doab (FIN)     15 May 2014

@ Ark,

This thread and

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=102337&offset=0#.U3TlhEeBmXU

another threads mentioned therein discuss similar queries.

YOU may approach a lawyer AS AP.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register