Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     28 September 2009

National Anthem

Any comments:

Controversy exists regarding the appropriateness of Jana Gana Mana as the national anthem of an independent India. The poem was composed in December 1911, precisely at the time of the Coronation Durbar of George V, and is considered by some to be a paean in praise of "the overlord of India's destiny". The composition was first sung during a convention of the then loyalist Indian National Congress in Calcutta on Dec. 16, 1911.[10] It was sung on the second day of the convention, and the agenda of that day devoted itself to a loyal welcome of George V on his visit to India. The event was reported thus in the Indian press:

"The Bengali poet Babu Rabindranath Tagore sang a song composed by him specially to welcome the Emperor." (Statesman, Dec. 28, 1911)

"The proceedings began with the singing by Babu Rabindranath Tagore of a song specially composed by him in honour of the Emperor."
 (Englishman, Dec. 28, 1911)

"When the proceedings of the Indian National Congress began on Wednesday 27th December 1911, a Bengali song in welcome of the Emperor was sung. A resolution welcoming the Emperor and Empress was also adopted unanimously."
 (Indian, Dec. 29, 1911)

Learning

2 Replies

Sarvesh Kumar Sharma Advocate (Advocacy)     28 September 2009

No comments.

Shree. ( Advocate.)     28 September 2009

The history of the Anthem is quite interesting but more relevance today is the spirit with which it is sung. I still get emotional whenever i hear our anthem played.I am aware of the controversy, more so caused due to the fact that a visit of the King George was scheduled. However, having known Tagore through his works and songs, I firmly believe he was not a person to write a song praising the king. On the second instance, the Tagore song was first sung in 1911 while Ram Singh was born on 1914!! I have heard his song ‘Sab sukh chain ki barkha barse’ (a INA song) which is a direct copy of the anthem. However, the notation of Tagore song is also available with me which dates back to before Ram Singh was born. With due respects to him, such tall claims to fame may be absolute stupidity! But I sincerely want to sing Jana gana mana always because since birth I am listening to that and a sudden change will not do justice to my sentiments.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register