Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rashmita Saikia (Lawyer)     21 September 2010

Name changing procedure in India as Per Law

Hi All,

The name changing procedure in India is very simple. Just need to
make an affidavit before a 1st class Magistrate and advertisement regarding name change in a news paper.

But where these procedure is specified? I mean, the Civil procedure code talks about only affidavit under section 139. Can anybody help me in this?

Regards,

Rashmita

Learning

12 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     21 September 2010

I think just it is a procedure adopted.  But in karnataka if you want to change the name in the school records, certificates and marks cards first you will have to issue notice u/s 80 cpc to the Govt., of Karnataka rep., by Dist commissioner and to the Deputy Director of Public Instruction by giving 60 days time to make necessary corrections in their records.  Normally they wont change so suit will have to filed for declaration and injunction.

1 Like

Rashmita Saikia (Lawyer)     21 September 2010

Sir,

Thanks for your reply. The name has already been changed. But few days before when we approached a government office for some work and we have submitted the necessary documents along with the affidavit. They are not accepting the documents and asking where these name changing procedure is specified and also keept the process pending which we had opted for in the office.

(Guest)

After newspaper publication before searing the affidavit, THE CHANGED NAME HAS TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE GOVERNMENT GAZETTE. There are agents who charge upto 500 Rs. The gazette publication takes about two months time. Merely publishing it in a newspaper does not complete the pro0cess of NAME CHANGE.

(Guest)

Correction "Swearing instead of searing]. Only the Governor or the president are competent to release the list of gazette notifications.

kiran 11111 (Executive)     26 November 2010

I feel there is a need to have precise law/legislation on this. Name changing procedure is very simple. In Maharashtra you have to just notify the name change by notification in the government gazzete.There are very chances that by name changing, people can resort to unlawful things.

chhabilal nepal (travel consultant)     01 February 2013

Dear Sir,

My name is chhabilal nepal.. i am belong from assam.. & living in new delhi. every body knows me as suraj here...

so , i want to change my name to Suraj Nepal for legally in all documents....

is it possible from new delhi or i have to go my state for this

kindly reply me

Thanks,

Chhabilal  

dinkar(dinku) (be)     09 May 2013

RESPECTED SIR,

MY NAME IS DINKAR . HOW CAN CHANGE MY NAME. PLEASE DISCRIBE ME THE PROCEDURE...AND HOW TO CHANGE MY NAME IN ALL DOCUMENT.....PLEASE GUIDE ME...

Raunak Bandyopadhyay (Student)     19 May 2015

Name change at the age of 1 year 6 months by affidavit is required to be published in newspaper? Please suggest

s.vimala   15 July 2015

I have a son of 16 years old and our native is TAMILNADU. But we work and therefore live in PONDICHERRY since 2002. Now we want to change the name of my son viz., removing 'BALA' at the front and also do some spelling corrections in the other existing part. Being residant of PONDICHERRY should I approach PONDICHERRY govt. or being native of TAMILNADU should Iapproach TAMILNADU govt.. Currently we have all our identity cards like voter id., pancard, ration card and even aadhar card only at Pondicherry. Only thing we can get nativity certificate from Tamilnadu. Please guide me via email

kriti agrawal (self)     17 July 2015

See this site https://py.gov.in/EFormsOnlineModule/viewFormDetails.action?results=210

This site may help you to get information related to your query.

Kriti

kriti agrawal (self)     17 July 2015

See the site https://py.gov.in/EFormsOnlineModule/viewFormDetails.action?results=210

This site may help you to get information related to your query.

Kriti

s.vimala   18 July 2015

I have a son of 16 years old and our native is TAMILNADU. But we work and therefore live in PONDICHERRY since 2002. Now we want to change the name of my son viz., removing 'BALA' at the front and also do some spelling corrections in the other existing part. Being residant of PONDICHERRY should I approach PONDICHERRY govt. or being native of TAMILNADU should Iapproach TAMILNADU govt.. Currently we have all our identity cards like voter id., pancard, ration card and even aadhar card only at Pondicherry. Only thing we can get nativity certificate from Tamilnadu. Please guide me via email

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register