Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Smita_L01042008 (student)     24 May 2011

Meaning of word 'M/s'

Dear members,

The word "M/s" is frequently used in corporates. Can anybody explain the meaning of this word. For which corporate entity this word is used?

Regards to all

Learning

10 Replies

M.Sheik Mohammed Ali (advocate)     24 May 2011

M/S is short for Messrs which is the plural for Mr in French. The term M/S is generally placed before the names of partnership firms to indicate that it is firm comprising several partners and is not a sole proprietorship. For instance, M/S Batliwala & Co (there are partners other than Batliwala in the firm of Baltiwala & Co). In India, the term is also sometimes mistakenly used in the names of joint-stock companies such as for example M/S Reliance Industries Limited. This is not correct since a joint stock company under law is an artificial person by itself; but looks like the practise has caught on.

4 Like

Smita_L01042008 (student)     24 May 2011

Thanks Mr. Ali

A V Vishal (Advocate)     24 May 2011

The plural of ‘Mr’: often used with the names of two or more men in the name of a business

Dev (Manager)     10 December 2012

Mr. Ali is right, M/S is short for Messrs which is the plural for Mr in French. The term M/S is generally placed before the names of partnership firms to indicate that it is firm comprising several partners and is not a sole proprietorship.

AMIT YADAV (PROPRIETOR)     30 October 2014

Dear Sir,

I am the solo owner of a proprietorship company name "REALTY VENTURES".

Can i use M/s b4 my company name.

What is the right way to write my company name for legal documents

a. REALTY VENTURES

B. M/S REALTY VENTURES

Please reply on my email id.

I shall be thankful to you.

Regards

Amit yadav || +91-9990666747

AMIT YADAV (PROPRIETOR)     30 October 2014

Dear Sir,

I am the solo owner of a proprietorship company name "REALTY VENTURES".

Can i use M/s b4 my company name.

What is the right way to write my company name for legal documents

a. REALTY VENTURES

B. M/S REALTY VENTURES

Please reply on my email id.

I shall be thankful to you.

Regards

Amit yadav || +91-9990666747

amit.realtyventures@gmail.com

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     02 November 2014

not a legal query

Zeta Teresa Pereira   04 February 2020

Hi,

M/S is short for Messieurs, which is the plural word for Mister in English. One of the reasons for their usage could be to address the partners in a firm or a company. 

Thanks.

Hasham Op   29 April 2023

Pls send the sources for the second meaning 

kane pequie   20 December 2023

The abbreviation M/s is commonly used in the business and corporate context, especially in written communications such as letters, invoices, or legal documents. It stands for Messrs, which is an older term derived from the French word Messieurs, meaning gentlemen or sirs. It is used to refer to a partnership or a firm, typically in the context of a business name.

For example, if a business is named ABC & Co.,  and it is a partnership, you might see it written as M/s ABC & Co. The term is often used in formal or legal documents to denote that the entity is a partnership or a firm.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register