LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Gyan Prakash Mishra (Service)     10 March 2009

License of contract labour

We all aware that whenever a contractor engages 20 or more workers he needs to obtain a license from appropriate authority.

As per the Rule no. 25(2)(ii) of contract labour (Regulation and Abolition) Rules 1971, it should not exceed on a particular day. I am reproducing the rule here:

The number of workmen employed as contract labour in the establishment shall not, on any day, exceed the maximum number specified in the licence.

What one can understand that on any day there should not be workers more than the licensed number.

The interpretation that I understand and discussed with Labour Deptt. Authorities that number of contractor labour employed any day at a time there should not be more than the licensed number.

For example for a particular assignment, the contrator has to work in all the 3 shift with 50 contract labour in each shift, does he require license for 50 worker or 150 workers.

Another example say a contractor has obtained license for 35 workers and on a particular day he brought 35 workers for work in the morning. In the afternoon out of 35 , 10 workers left the job for their personal work and he further brought in 10 more workers. His strength remains 35 and though he on roll there was  total 45 vworkers but in the premise he employed only 35 workers. Does he need to have license for 45 workers.

Explanations and interpretation are welcome with citations an case law.

Thank you all.

Gyan Prakash Mishra
Chief Manager - HR
SRF Limited, Gwalior

Learning

4 Replies

H. S. Thukral (Lawyer)     11 March 2009

I donot find any ambiguity in the question involved. The contract labour involved in the second shift shall be a set of different workers. The same workers can not be employed more than 9 hours in a day. Total employment simply shall be number of workers  on roll but there is restriction on working hours. If law permits that a  worker can work in two shifts continually, then the head counts shall be the number employed on any day. The number of workers employed by the contractor shall be ascertained from the muster roll.

In the second example the number of workmen employed on a particular day shall be 45 workers. 

M. PIRAVI PERUMAL (Advocate & Consumer Rights)     11 March 2009

I agree with the view.

L.C.PAL (JOB)     13 March 2009

Hi

I would like to add here that if there are three shifts and each shift engage 50 employees and in three shifts there are 150 employees than contractor has to take license for 150 employees.   Because it is specifically written that "on any day" exceed the maximum number  means there are 150 employees worked in a day not only 50 employees. 

Also in mustor roll there shall be attendance for 150 employees instead of 50 employees. 

LAKHMI CHAND PAL

FARIDABAD, HARYANA

Swami Sadashiva Brahmendra Sar (Nil)     14 March 2009

Mr. pal is right

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register