Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sreeni (Others)     25 May 2014

Legality of apartment association

Dear experts,

This query is related to "legality" of the apartment association in Bangalore, Karnataka.

What is the way to determine by looking at the deed of declaration/bye-laws  of the apartment, whether

1. The apartment association is a registered association or un-registered.

on the first look it appears to me that bye-laws/DOD is just registered as a document with sub-registrar.

(That way any document can be registered with the sub-registrar as a piece of document).

It appears this is not the same as registering an association under an act. Please clarify the same.

If the association is not a registered association how mandatory is it to follow all rules/bye-laws that are part of this document. I noticed that many people inteprete the same in their own way and make rules in the building. How correct is this?

Seenu

Learning

6 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     26 May 2014

The builder has to file declaration u/s 25 of the Societies Act and 

The apartment association is mandatrily reqired to be registered with Registrar of Societies. and not with Sub-Registrar.

Sreeni (Others)     26 May 2014

Sir,Thank you for the clarification !

That concludes that our existing association is not registered.

If the association is not a registered association how mandatory is it to follow all rules/bye-laws that are part of this document. I noticed that many people inteprete the same in their own way and make rules in the building. How correct is this?

-Seenu

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     27 May 2014

The apartments owners association is to be registered with the Registrar of societies.  For such registration, the association has to follow certain procedures compulsorily without which the association cannot be registered. For example, the bye laws of the association are to be framed as per the guidelines given by the registrar office and the memorandum of association should contain all the details of the association members, descripttion of common areas, maintenance charges,corpus fund ad many more aspects including periodical meetings by office bearers, general body meeting to be attended by all members and procedures to pas resolution on any issue, etc.  So interpretation as per their own sweet will and wish will not become rule.

Sreeni (Others)     02 June 2014

Dear JC and Selvan sir, Thanks for clarification !

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     05 June 2014

You have posted a similar query elsewhere in this Forum and I have responded there.

From this post I know that you are in Karnataka. Karnataka has an Ownership Flats Act (the exact name may be different) If the Association has to function effectively the managing committee should have defined powers and responsibilities and the rights of members also should be defined. The Ownership Flats Act contain Model Bye-laws also.  Registration under Societies Registration Act will not be adequate.

If your Association is registered under any of the Acts there will be a registration certificate with a number and date of registration. The master copy of the bye-laws will also bear the seal of the Registrar.

If your Association is not registered, you have to initiate action for its registration. Otherwise you have no salvation.

Sreeni (Others)     14 June 2014

Apology for my delayed response and Thank you for the clarification sir!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register