Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mani Sriram   01 September 2016

Legal heirship

Learned Lawyers, 

I would appreciate if you could clarify the below:

1. What is the difference between Legal Heir certificate and Succession Certificate?

2. My father died about 15 years back with some property in Chennai. Legal heirs are my mother, my sister and I. My mother and I live in Mumbai while my sister live in Chennai.. My father had left a will for this property, but not registered and the witnesses are also deceased. My queries are as follows:

a. In order to transfer this property to one of the legal heirs as per the will, which of the above certificate is needed?

b. Who are the authorities who can issue this certificate? Should it be from Mumbai (as my place of residence) or Chennai (place of location of property)

c. If it can be obtained from authorities from Mumbai, what would be their requirements for my sister who is Chennai resident.?

d. What is the procedure, cost and duration for obtaining this certificate?

I would very much be appreciate if any of you could clarify the above.

Regards,

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     01 September 2016

It is felt that your father was native of Tamilnadu.

Inquire procedure, rquisite docs from authority under whose jurisdiction property falls e.g. MC.

Death certificate, certified copy of th WILL, NOC from other legal heirs, newspaper  publication may be asked for. 

Legal Heir certificate should suffice.

The process is easy. Tehsildar issues it.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/Employees-compensation-act-1923-598516.asp

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register