LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

JB (Analyst)     18 August 2015

Legal advice required

A marriage was planned one of my relative. After betrothal ceremony, but before marriage, due to some issues the marriage was stopped by the guy is not having much interest on it. So their parents and relatives talked each other and exhanged the things and money spent for the betrothal ceremony. Since they are christians, they also conveyed to stop the marriage in the chuch as well. Is this enough? or Still any legal things need to be taken from the girl's side for seeing some other alliance for her?

Learning

8 Replies

Jayashree Hariharan (Advocate)     18 August 2015

This is enough, since marriage has not taken place.

Thanks for your advice :)

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     18 August 2015

I presume the issue had ended there itself after exchange of things mutually.

Yes sir. You are correct.

JB (Analyst)     20 August 2015

One clarification. Please.

Just mutual oral agreement is enough? or any agreement is required on stamp paper?

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     20 August 2015

when U have been adviced earlier in the proper way why do keep on extending.Is there anything serious in the matter?

FREDYCHARLES RK - Bangalore (Advocate)     20 August 2015

Hi JB,

Take cover under the doctrine of Estoppel vide ref The Indian Evidence Act S-115. Simply put "when one person has,by his declaration, act or ommission, intentionally caused or permitted another person to believe a thing to be true and to act upon such belief, neither he nor his representative shall be allowed, in any suit or proceeding between himself and such person or his representative, to deny the truth of that thing".....So rest in peace

JB (Analyst)     20 August 2015

Ok. Thanks for your response sir.

Dear Sainath sir,

Yes. Thanks for the perfect answer in your earlier post. Later, I was in a confusion on whether an oral communication is enough or any written proof is mandatory on that.  So that I posted my question in order to get clarification immediately from experts like you :-)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register