LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Manish   27 September 2018

Lease stamp duty

Incase the property is 10000 sqft in mumbai @Rs.100 ie 10L rent per month. The property is to be leased out for 15 yrs how much will be the stamp duty ? Considering 60 Lakhs is the deposit. Is there a fomulae to calculated lease stamp duty ? Location Chinchpokli, Shed & not an RCC structure.

Learning

2 Replies

R.Ramachandran (Advocate)     27 September 2018

According to Article 36 (iii) of Schedule-I to Maharashtra Stamp Duty Act, for Lease including lease or sub-lease and any agreement to let or sub-let or any renewal of lease, where such lease purports to be for a period exfeeding ten years but not exceeding twenty nine years, with a renewal clause contingent or otherwise --- The Stamp Duty payable is the same duty as is leviable on a coneyance under Article 25, on 50% of the market value of the property.

Therefore, you have to first ascertain the market value of the property.  Upon the said market value, 50% should be taken for the purpose of payment of stamp duty.  Stamp duty is payable @ fifteen rupees for every rupees 500 or part thereof, if the property is non-residential.

Manish   28 September 2018

Thank you for your reply.

Let me put an example of what I have understood from your email.

Ready Reckoner Value is Rs.30000/ sqft then 50% of the market value ie Rs. 15000/ Sqft will be considered. Assuming an area of 7000 Sqft x Rs. 15000/Sqft = 10.50Cr is the value considered the rate of stamp duty is Rs.15/ for every Rs.500, hence the stamp duty amount will be Rs. 31.50L.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register