Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pooja (Advocate)     21 May 2012

Law firm registration

Dear Friends,

I hv been working as a legal professional since last 10 years, now i have decided to start my own law firm in Mumbai. I discussed my idea with my ex employer who is not lawyer by profession, but he is ready to provide a premises as well as all the required infrastruture n also he will provide cliental to me. n i m gona take care on work front, i will arrange for all the services to be provided to the client. now the problem is that for being a partner in the law firm person has to be lawyer, otherwise he cant be a partner in the firm. so how can we get attached into the firm how can we devide the profit sharing of the firm, what kind of arrangements can be made?? pls help me out.... a waiting for your valueable feedback....

Learning

3 Replies

Rajesh Hazra (Mediator and Legal Counsel )     22 May 2012

Hi Pooja, You have mistaken on the fct that you do not need to have your other partner as Lawyer to start a Law Firm. Even a non Lawyer can be your partner. But there is a little amguity in the case of LLP. Please check in detail about LLP.

Best of luck

Atul D Suryavanshi (Attorney - JC Law Firm)     19 July 2012

Dear Pooja,

Incorporation of Law Firm is not much complicated.

You can start your Law Firm in Partenership, Limited Liablitiy Partnership or solepropritership.

But the essential requirement in Partnership is, all the partners must be Registered with State bar Council as  Practicing Advocate. I'll suggest you to go for LLP, it time saving and Tax saving mode of incorporation.

We would like to Assists you to get incorporated your Law Firm.

Regards,

Atul Suryavanshi

IPR-Attorney

JC Law Firm

Mobile- 09923552956

Email: atul@jclawfirm.in

Nitin Naresh (Entrepreneur)     04 August 2014

I have certain questions and would be very thankful if anyone answers them.

I have a company in india ( delhi) and want to hire a full time lawyer to handle all our legal and jurisdictional matters like registration of all of our sister concern companies, their logo trademarks, iso certifications etc and also to handle our legal matter.

Now-

1. Can a full time lawyer hired by us, can also fight cases in court for us, as I heard that a lawyer hired by a company for full time basis can not practise law.

2. I strongly feel that most of our work would be done by the lawyer in next 6-7 months and I do not want to say bye bye to him as he is a nice and well intelligent person, so I feel to retain him, but in order to retain him, I want to have a business model where we can also generate a profit from him after 6 months else we will have to pay him salaries without any profit which I can not do.

So can I use this lawyer to handle matters outside our company ? 

3. Third option is to let this lawer register his own law firm and we retain them, but the lawyer want me to be a partner in his company to share profits, Can I as a non-lawyer be a partner with this lawyer in a law firm.

4. What would be the structure of this law firm- A LLP or a Private Limited Company.

5. Can a law firm be incorporated in a private limited company?

6. This lawyer has a registration with UP bar council, can he again register in Delhi and can retain his both the registration or he need to request for the transfer of registration from UP to delhi, or should he surrender in UP and then apply as fresh in Delhi?

7. He passed his exams of LLB in 2008 prior to 2009-10, but passed his LLM exam in 2013, now as per the latest guidelines of BCI, any law graduate graduating in and after 2009-2010 need to pass a BCI exam, but as this lawyer was already graduated in 2008, but did his LLM in 2013, also need to appear for BCI exam?

The only intentions to have such kind of questions as a non-lawyer is that my company is a digital marketing company and we want to have a full time lawyer for certain piece of time to handle all our internal and external legal matters but as I found a good person, I do not want to break this association and would like to be associated so that we both can work together and generate more revenue and profits so that he is also not a extra burden on my company and also do not have to break the association.

Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register