LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Viju Nair   28 September 2015

Joint owner registration of flat to be made single owner

What is the best way to convert joint ownership (Dad and Daughter )of a flat to single owner? I was told that the Dad can make a gift deed and transfer the 100% ownership to the daughter and this can then taken to the registrar and the new registration can be done without spending the 2% registration charges. This is as per the new rule that has been passed. I am not sure of the correctness of my statement, but wanted help in this regard. This will help us to plan the transfer accordingly.Thank you

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     28 September 2015

The stamp and registartion duty/charges are state subject.

Check with society/authority under whose jurisdiction the Flat falls and also SRO and check which shall be most economical and relevant; settlement/relinquinshment/gift deed etc..........and the procedure and charges for it................

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     07 October 2015

Society has nothing to do with the matter. If you make a gift still there may be stamp duty. If there are no  other claimants to the property liikely,  you can execute a relinghuishment deed. There are a couple of Bombay High Court judgements which says such relinguishments will not attract stamp duty. A stamp duty of a few hundred rupees may be involved.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register