Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mahadev   07 September 2015

Jail sentence counting

Respected Lawyers/Members ,

a) I read somewhere in few online articles that 1 day in Jail is considered as 2 days effectively . Is it true . Does it mean if some one is sentenced to 3 years imprisonment he will effectively serve only 1.5 years in Jail .

b) Does Life imprisonment mean Imprisonment for the remainder of person's natural life or is it equal to 14years . Does the defintion of life imprisonment vary from crime to crime .

Learning

4 Replies

saravanan s (legal advisor)     07 September 2015

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/life-imprisonment-means-jail-term-for-entire-life-sc/article4133231.ece

KS Johal   07 September 2015

Mahadev You are quite right that one day we'll be counted as 2 days. This principle is only applied up to a particular threshold. Thereafter life imprisonment will mean life. Please check the website as indicated by my friend Saravanan S. KS Johal

Mahadev   08 September 2015

Respected Sirs ,

Thanks for your replies . In my case the charges are for Sec.498A and Sec.4 Dowry prohibition Act . Hence maximum punishment if convicted is 3 years . Does it mean 1.5 years in Jail and does the rule mentioned apply for these charges i.e 498A and Sec.4 D.P Act .

SAINATH DEVALLA (LEGAL CONSULTANT)     08 September 2015

Dear querist,

Don't bother about all these things,first of all try to defend and prove that those cases are false.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register