LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Tasha Agarwal   12 July 2017

Issue of dual degree

My query is with regards to legality of pursuing dual degree simultaneously; one regular and one distance. I am aware of the UGC minutes of meeting held in 2012 which gives positive response towards pursuing two degrees simultaneously and the public notice of 2016 which negates this view. However, in my case I joined the dual program in 2011 and finished in 2013. I couldn't find any official document prior to 2011 about this topic. So in my case, is it legally valid to use both these degrees now? Moreover, where do I stand, legally, in terms of getting enrolled in two degree programs then and using those two certificates for job purpose now. 

Please help. 

Learning

2 Replies

Rama chary Rachakonda (Secunderabad/Highcourt practice watsapp no.9989324294 )     12 July 2017

However, they cannot undertake two regular degrees at the same time.

The committee, set up by the University Grants Commission (UGC), has sought opinion of vice chancellors of all universities in the country before implementation the recommendations.

The expert Committee has recommended that, "a student enrolled in a degree programme under regular mode may be allowed to pursue a maximum of one additional degree programme simultaneously under open/distance mode from the same or a different university. However, two degree programmes under regular mode may not be allowed simultaneously as it may create logistic, administrative and academic problems."

The panel has also recommended that "a student pursuing a degree programme under regular mode may be allowed to pursue a maximum of one certificate/diploma/advanced diploma/PG diploma programme simultaneously either in regular or open and distance mode in the same university or from other institutions."

The panel also discussed the issue of awarding a joint degree by universities within India and decided that "nothing prohibit universities to permit their students to take and complete a part of their programme of studies from any other recognised universities".

"The joint degree programme are not only permissible by the UGC but also needs to be encouraged. Interested universities may make necessary enabling ordinances specifying details and procedures in this regards and may sign Memorandum of Understanding to execute the award of joint degrees," the panel recommended.

Tasha Agarwal   12 July 2017

Sir, Checke this link:

https://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/5865506_UGC-Notice_For_Two_Degree.pdf

It says that the commission does not endorse the idea of allowing students to pursue two degrees simultaneously.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register