Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

VISAKH   28 January 2020

Is sharing of hindu newspaper [pdf] violation of copyright ?

Sir,

I am a member of a telegram group with over 1 Lakh members which provides exam preparation related materials. The group also posts various digital copy [pdf] newspapers on a daily basis - The Hindu, Indian Express, Amar Jyoti, Times of India, Hindustan Times etc, which are an integral part of the preparation.

Recently, the group administrator posted a threat that he received from parties associated with The Hindu stating that legal action would be initiated against him if he does not stop posting the newspaper (only The Hindu) in the group. 

In this context, does sharing of the newspaper as it is, without making any changes (watermarks, advertisements, etc) at all, amount to violation of copyrights ?

Learning

3 Replies

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     28 January 2020

Dear sir,

As per me it is violation of copyright. You can seek permission and circulate it.

Regards,

Adv Deepak Joshi +917017821512 (Advocate)     28 January 2020

you need to take permission from the owner for circulation

Akshay (Advocate)     13 February 2020

Hi

Thank you for asking this question

There exists no copyright in news or facts or information, as the same are niether created nor coming with the author of any work. In the news paper it is all about what  happend in the history and talks about the daily news and facts , and Discovery of facts  cannot be given the protection of copyright..

If the fact and  information created to form a work  then only come undr the copyright act , and news it is not cretaed by news paper.It belongs to those who have suffered it. Law of copyright in India only protects original and creative expressions of ideas and not ideas themselves

So according  to me You havnt violated the norms of Copyright.

Hope this will help you

Best regards 

Akshay Gupta

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register