Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Thanuja   02 September 2018

Is it legal to marry my second cousin in AP?

I'm in love with my cousin (My father's father brothers sons son) and have struggled a lot to even stay away from each other since this is not acceptable in india. But we want to live together. Is there any way out to become United and does Indian law allow this? Also I'm one and half year younger than my boyfriend/cousin. We live in Andhra Pradesh. Here first cousins are allowed...but dunno about second cousins..Pls help..

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     02 September 2018

If you are Hindu and are of 18Y age and person whom you want to marry (male) is 21Y then both should be of marriageable age.

If there is any proven custom in your community (that has attained sanction of law) then you may succeed to have valid marriage. Your community leaders/scholars can update you.

Go thru prohibited relations as in Hindu Marriage Act and if you wish to marry under Special Marriage Act go thru IT.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     02 September 2018

You may discuss with a very able LOCAL counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in concerned field of law e.g; Family/Civil matters as in your case, and well versed with LOCAL applicable rules/personal laws, precedence, latest judgments etc …. and worth his/her salt, and your counsel can advise you after examining all docs, evidences on record ..

There are such very able counsels at each location.

Check for such counsels at LOCAL Civil courts, HC, SC…

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register