Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Captain 1001   30 January 2020

Intellectual property rights in websites.

Suppose I have a website for academic content for university students. If I download PDFs of books from some pirated websites to make them available to download from my website also. Will I get into trouble ? Should I give credits to the pirated website.

Learning

8 Replies

Advocate Suneel Moudgil (Advocate)     31 January 2020

1. Legally, You cannot offer download of books without any authorization from the author/publisher.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     31 January 2020

Yes, you get into trouble if the copy right holder decides to take action for distributing or causing to be distributed, the material or books on which he has copy right. Just give the name of the book as a reference along with the name of author. Do not give any links to downlod.

Captain 1001   31 January 2020

If I doesn't store the book on my server and just give link which opens the website from which the user can download the file, will I still get into trouble ? Because this is exactly what Google does.

SHIRISH PAWAR, 7738990900 (Advocate)     31 January 2020

Dear querist,

Even if you provide link of other website still you will be in trouble and you will be liable for the act.

Regards,

Either directly providing the book in your server or facilitating downloading by giving link are equally violate the copy right of the owner as in the latter case you are facilitating illegal distribution of the copy righted book and in the former case you re straight providing the book. Matter is clearly explained.

Captain 1001   31 January 2020

Then why Google is still running and is the second largest company of the world. Why anyone is not suing it.

See, if you go into argument mode, there is no answer. If you want to do whatever you like because somebody else is doing the same and tomorrow there is a case filed against you by the copy right owneryou cannot take the plea that Google is doing and so I did. You get your punishment as bad precedent somebody doing something illegal and just because no action is taken against for example Google shall not make what you do as legal and correct.

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     03 February 2020

Your question is based on numerous "ifs" and "buts", which is prima faci ,an academic topic for time-pass debate.

If there is some truth in the story it is advisable to consult a local prudent lawyer for appreciation of facts/ documents, professional guidance and necessary proceeding.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register