Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sanve (ASA)     26 November 2012

Hr policy for notice period of three months- help?

HR Policy for notice period of three months- HELP?

My appointment letter says "During probation, your services can be terminated at a months notice on either side or equivalent pay in lieu thereof and after confirmation at three months notice". But now the organization says they don't have sufficient projects to entertain you & give resignation or else i shall b terminated. Also as rule i shall be given a three months notice period with full monthly salary but they asking me to either take one month salary, considering a month notice period or else three month notice period without salary for those three months. i require time to find another job as i am told to resign suddenly without giving prior intimation, hence i prefer 3 months legal notice period with full salary. HR is not considering the same & forcing to choose any of those two options. can legally i ask the management for 3months notice period.

Learning

7 Replies

Manindra Singh (Chief Manager IR)     26 November 2012

Please let us know you role designation and job. I you do not have supervisory role than there are many option available to you under the labour laws.

However, once you let us know more details one will be able to advise you appropriately. Please do not take any step in haste.

Thanks

Manindra Singh (Chief Manager IR)     26 November 2012

Sorry _ typo error. If you do not have supervisory role than may options........

Kumar Doab (FIN)     27 November 2012

Mr. Maninder Singh has given valuable advice. Kindly follow it.

The company is asking you to give up your employment within the premises of office.

If you wish to protest you can. Forced resignation can be deemed termination.

Simply put company is asking you to tender resignation or face termination.

You may be coerced further to tender resignation with notice or with immediate effect or with three month’s notice but let company accept it with reliving date one month from date of notice of resignation and you accept it without any protest.

You should resign {only if you wish to resign} by tendering 3 month’s notice in your situation by notice of resignation addressed to your appointing authority, MD, Company Secretary preferably by a letter thru redg. post under acknowledgment followed by email and you may submit one copy at reception where all mail of company is received and obtain acknowledgment on your copy under company seal and signature and diary number affixed on it. You can narrate your meeting with company personnel {mention name, designation, dept, address, date} and that you were asked to submit resignation with conditions………..as mentioned by you, however having no other alternative{ and to avoid stigmatic/adverse  order of termination as pointed out to you which may affect your future employability  you are tendering notice of resignation as per clause number………..in appointment letter dated………..issued to you, with three month’s notice and hence effective date of resignation/retirement being dated……..so that you can find alternative employment by the end of your date of resignation/retirement i.e. dated………..

Employee should record {audio/visual. Mobile comes handy} such transactions and keep evidence/witness. This is a time when you should tilt and keep the record in writing and in your favor.

Company and its HR personnel shall call you again.Keep evidence on your side.Company and its HR personnel shall not agree to having made such demand.Onus of proof/evidence may lie upon you.

If you are not able to firm up your next employment/source of livelihood, you can withdraw your resignation before its effective date/end of notice period.

If the company accepts your resignation before effective date it can be termed illegal and you can either get your job back or compromise to accept the wages for balance period of notice of resignation.

An employee has the right to withdraw his resignation before it becomes effective.

Nand Keshwar Prasad vs Indian Farmers Fertilizers ... on 1 April, 1998

Supreme Court of India

11. After giving our careful consideration to the facts and circumstances of the case, it appears to us that the law is well settled by this Court in a number of decisions that unless controlled by condition of service or the statutory provisions, the retirement mentioned in the letter of resignation must take effect from the date mentioned therein and such date cannot be advanced by accepting the resignation from an earlier date when the employee concerned did not intend to retire from such earlier date. It has also been held by this Court that it is open to the employee concerned to withdraw letter of resignation before the same becomes effective.”

You shall find reference of many other pertinent and useful judgments cited in this decision by honorable SC.

Remain gentle amiable but alert and do not compromise and avoid emotional outburst.

Utilize the time to settle as ap.

The demand of the company can be treated as retrenchment.

You can contemplate to demand severance package. For this you may approach a competent and experienced lawyer and let your lawyer evaluate the merits and if you are convinced you may proceed under the expert advice only.

Employers do not marry employees. Employee should not treat employment as marriage.

Attached File : 589767613 resignation can not be accepted before end of notice period nand keshwar prasad vs indian farmers fertilizers ... on 1 april, 1998.pdf downloaded: 148 times

sanve (ASA)     27 November 2012

HR Policy for notice period of three months- HELP?

As i said i am on officer level and my designation Associate System Analyst which software developer in VC++ technology.
My company HR is harrasing me and not giving me anything in written manner that she will pay for 3 months salary and also she is just giving me basic salary infact she should give full salary for all three months.Over that they have block all sites and mail application from where we employee log in for the day.She told all admin people to do not allow me to enter in office and to go near my desk.I have not yet given any resignation and she has taken such actions it is completely unprofessional in a way thn how can i trust on her said words.u please provide me guidance my email id is - poonamchiplunkar@gmail.com
contact number - 8291242801

You are facing a situation and you may decide how you want to act.

Yu are right that everything be communicated to employee in writing.

Either female HR is stepping outside her limits or she is acting under orders from her masters and even good offices, and reading from scriptt which is already decided. However you should report to good offices.

You may consult elders in the family, competent and experienced well wishers and they can help you.

Notice pay is usually basic pay+DA.

You may go thru your appointment letter and look into clause on termination/resignation and notice pay. If it is mentioned notice pay shall be @ CTC or Gross pay then it shall be so. If it is basic+DA then it shall this much. You don’t need any other/separate  HR policy for this.

If you do not want to agitate you may simply submit your notice of resignation with three month’s notice, under proper acknowledgment. However if female HR has blocked your entry in office you should report to good offices, as if you do not company might declare you absent and thus may deny you any pay and rather may terminate declaring you absconding.

If HR or good offices do not want you to attend office then they should communicate so by an office order in writing. At times employer do issue such instructions {if there are issues and conflicts} and claim that it is to avoid stress that employee may have during notice period.

If you want to agitate narrate everything by a letter thru redg. post with AD, addressed to your appointing authority, MD, Company Secretary followed by email and mention that 1st HR personnel { name, designation, dept, address}on  dated…….demanded resignation and then on dated………instructed and arranged to block all sites and mail application {from where we employee log in for the day and mark attendance}and that She has told all admin people to not allow me to enter in office { therefore you are not able to mark attendance}and to come near my desk.

As you have not acceded to her demand of submitting resignation she has resorted to unlawful/illegal activities.

You may submit an email on daily basis declaring that you are present for the day and proper instructions be issued to HR in writing with a copy to you, and thus enable you to attend office and perform your duties.

If you remain absent from office without submitting any representation HR and company may succeed in declaring you absent with information and thus absconding.

Anscondment is misconduct and later company may deny you even notice pay.

If you are not able to handle it on your own you may pay a visit to the good offices along with some elders and thus have a witness. After visiting the good offices you may submit minutes of discussion.

Even if your designation is “Associate System Analyst” it does not necessarily mean that you do not fall within the category of a workman. Designation alone does not decide employee is a workman or not. You may approach an experienced and competent labor consultant/service lawyer and show your appointment letter, and explain your nature of duties and your lawyer may opine that fall within the category of a workman.

Even a highly paid Pilot is a workman.

sanve (ASA)     27 November 2012

Hr policy for notice period of three months- help?

In ur last reply i did not understand the term good offices.what does it mean.where i can ask to put my attendance for the day in office.

Good Offices: Your appointing authority, MD, Company Secretary, CEO, Chairman..

“where i can ask to put my attendance for the day in office.”

IN register for attendance at reception, security office, in your office…….or at on line attendance portal, or by matrix card.

If everything has been taken away from you {you must submit only under acknowledgment}and your entrance has been prohibited by verbal orders then you should report to good offices and for a few days you may visit office, sign in the security register { click picture/record}and if this is also blocked  you may submit email on daily basis.

You may discuss the whole query, conduct of the female HR/company, posts to your query with consult elders in the family; competent and experienced well wishers and they can help you, to take suitable decison.

You may even discuss with your lawyer.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register