LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Guest (n/a)     27 January 2009

How to cancel a power of attorney

What is the procedure for cancellation of a power of attorney.

Learning

12 Replies

rajeev (advocate)     27 January 2009

eventhough it is registered, it can be cancelled by paper publication and sending the same copy to the PA holder

Ajay kumar singh (Advocate)     27 January 2009

If the deed is registered, it should be revoked by a registered deed of revocation/cancellation. Immediately a notice to this effect should be sent to the power-holder. Publication in local daily newspaper is helpful in letting the people know regarding revocation of the power.

Sushil Kumar Bhatia (Advocate)     27 January 2009

mr.Rajeev and mr Ajay Advocates are absolutely correct.

Kuljit Pal Singh (Legal Professional)     28 January 2009

Dear Friend,

There are two kinds of Power of Attorneys (PoA)

1) Revocable PoA

2) Irrevocable PoA

Revocable PoA can be revoked at any time by simply giving notice or by the conduct of the person who has given it.

Irrevocable power of Attorney can not be revoked unless and untill conditions expressed therein got satisfied.

Regards

Shree. ( Advocate.)     28 January 2009

Dear All,

You Can Download the Following types of Deed from the below link:

Link:https://dcsouthwest.delhigovt.nic.in/download1.htm

3 Like

Ajinder Pal Singh (Partner)     24 January 2010

Sir, can you quote me a judgement on the point....that a registered POA is to be cancelled only by a registered revocation deed. I'll be grateful.

Rahul (Owner)     09 May 2012

In case the power of attorney is registered deed then you have to cancel it through a deed of cancellation/revocation & that too has to be registered. In case the power of attorney is not registered then it can be cancelled by a registered letter written on plan paper & sent to to the person/authority for whom this POA deed was made along with a copy to the person in whose favor this was given. A newspaper publications is required only if this POA was given for general purpose & to deal with various people or authorities on your behalf

Ramesh (ma)     18 August 2013

I had given a registered general power of attorney to an agent several years back. Recently he has been acting against my interest. I want to cancel/revoke the power of attorney. However I don't have a copy of the power of attorney or the corresponding number. The agent is not providing me with these information due to obvious reasons. How can I cancel the power of attorney without having any information (copy, number or any other details) regarding that?  Would be really grateful if somebody could kindly give an answer.

Mehul Rathod (Advocate)     03 May 2015

A big thank u to Shree Sir. This link is indeed very helpful

https://www.business-standard.com/article/pf/irrevocable-power-of-attorney-can-t-be-cancelled-without-public-notice-114010500768_1.html

This link clarifies with a case study

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/slideshows/consumer-legal/a-letter-of-authority-is-no-substitue-for-poa/a-registered-deed-of-cancellation-is-needed-if-power-of-attorney-was-registered/slideshow/10398697.cms

This link too is helpful guys...

jayesh nathuram chauhan (CCTV control room supervisor)     10 March 2016

I am facing same problem. My dad was given a irrevocable power of attorney to builder at 2010 which is registered in office. NOW it is 2016 builder has not Completed project. Hence we want to cancel POA due to clashes between us. Pls help me out how can I cancel the same. According to lawyer we have sent a letter for cancellation of POA & Also issued public notice on news paper on June 2015. Now builder says it is not legal & for cancellation register office want both party present for cancellation. If we have disputes and don't want to carry on construction or further sell to recover our losses. Register office will not stop register new sale agreement & builder un storable to sell new flats. Pls help me some perfect solution. Jayesh chavan. 7775883180

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register