Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

How I protested Police Brutality at Ramlila Grounds

Dear LCI friends,
I have been wondering about how common people like you can me can peacefully protest the police brutality at ramlila grounds. After much thought I decided to talk to some police officers and ask them a few questions, to let them know how frustrated most of us are at the rising corruption in police force.

I went to a police chowkey nearby and said I wanted to interview the Inspector. Please note, I chose this chowkey because there is a slum nearby - the slum dwellers commit many crimes (thefts, eve teasing, stone pelting at vehicles) which are rarely followed up. I asked them the following questions:

- why common people like me have to run from pillar to post to register an FIR.
- why no action is taken on FIRs.
- How many of reported cases actually go for hearing?
- who follows up on such cases.
- If such cases are actually coming up for hearing how come the person who registered the FIR doesn't get the summons.
- why do our FIRs remain a scrap of paper, while politicians can get anything done?
- About the police brutality at Ramlila grounds, how was the decision made at midnight?
- Do such orders come in writing or telephonically?
- Does the police get caught in the middle, trying to obey orders and being answerable to Supreme court notices as to why they took the action - who are the decision makers?
- what is being done about the rising corruption in police force?

The police officer was friendly, he tried to remain non-controversial (as I expected), tried to deny some allegations but was cooperative. when I asked if I could come in for a follow up interview, he said come in anytime before 10 am.

I do not know court/ police procedures, I am a layperson who only goes to police chowky with personal complaint. I had initially decided to wear a placard and stand outside the police chowkey, but I felt that this was a better way to make my point.

I welcome inputs from fellow LCI Members about what we can do, how we can make police answerable to us and create pressure on them.

Learning

3 Replies

(Guest)

Just wanted to add here that there is no serious organization in Pune for anti-corruption movement. I called patanjali centers and I have attended many meetings of IAC (india against corruption) with very thin attendance and no clear plan/goals. As such I seek guidance about how I can join/create an organization to fight corruption, and what activities such an organization should do. thanks for any inputs.

SANTOSHSINGH. (ADVOCATE sardarsena@gmail.com)     08 June 2011

how you can say this even excess.

Had the baba faced the police and did not hide in womans clothes behind ladies nothing would have happened.

In fact baba is responsible for all the voilence and now he talking of armed revolution.

(Guest)
there was no need for police in the first place, it was a peaceful demonstration.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register