Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Need Advise (def)     26 November 2016

High interim maintenance

Honourable members,

We were married in 2003 and my wife took our 2 years old son and desrted me 5 years after marriage.  She moved to another city (Delhi) and working here.

2 years back she filed a case of divorce with ground such as desertion, cruelty and negligence and demanded 50,000/- assuming my salary as 3 lakh under HMA sec 24. I filed application for visitation of child for 4 hours each on sat and sunday 2 years back. Court argument happend after 2 years after we submitted our financial affidavits.In between,  I was pleading for meeting with  my son and court was giving me 2 hours each time I was either orally or in written. At most the total number of meetings were around 10. Also, voluntarly, I was paying 12 k for the child's welfare since last 6 months. Before that I was paying 10 k several times but not every month, may be once in 3-4 months and total amount was around 2 lakh.

In the order, Honourable Judge told me I need to pay 30 k for the welfare of my son and meeting fixed was 2 hours every alternate week. Is this justifiable? the expenses on child shown by her is approx 21k (education, food, clothing etc). Besides she has shown expenses like she goes for outing with son and she is investing in some LIC policies. My total income is 1.4 lakh per month(including rent, dividends and interests and after taxes) and my wife's total income is around 66-70 k after tax. She has not given all the bills.

I never expected this huge amount as I believed my wife will not be eligible for maintance. I have liability like I am giving 15.5 k as EMI for house and some other liabilities. Also, I am investing on child's future - 3 k directly under his name and 7 k in my father's name and my son being nominee. 

What should I do from here with regard to maintenance as well as with regard to visitation. Also, judge told me that it will be applicable since HMA sec was filed by my wife when I requested for it to be granted from date of order. There were delays in court proceedings such as lawyers strike, postponements of hearings, judge transfers etc.

Should I be requesting for appeal or request the same case to again look into the order. Please note I have applied for the order and not received the same yet.

kind Regards.

Learning

9 Replies

Ms.Usha Kapoor (CEO)     27 November 2016

Whethe ryour estramnged wifei is earning o not she is  entitled to some maintenance from you along with  maintennace for your child. You ask for visitation rigfhts  2 hours every  week. Court  might consider..

sEE sOM EO FTH EFOLOWING jUDGMENTS  WHICH MAY B EUSEFUL TO YOU.

Bringing you best analytical legal news

Husband is not bound to maintain a well qualified wife who is sitting idle and not working

scc-blog_Page_9

Family Court, Mumbai: Looking at the burden on the husband to provide maintenance to his wife even in cases where the wife is well educated and capable enough to earn for her living, a bench of S.A. Morey J gave a landmark judgment in favour of husband to curb the misuse of the provision of maintenance, and held that a wife who is well qualified and is capable to earn cannot sit idle and claim maintenance from her husband.

In the instant case, petitioner-wife moved an application before this Court for grant of maintenance from the respondent-husband during the pendency of petition under Section 125 CrPC. The petitioner alleged that she was forced to live separately as the respondent and his family members ill-treated and harassed her for bringing less dowry. The petitioner contended that the respondent is a successful businessman and is doing business not only in India but also in Dubai and other countries, and that his total income per month is more than Rs. 15 lakhs, and therefore considering the status of her husband, she prayed for grant of maintenance @ Rs. 2 lakhs per month.

Firstly, the Court rejected the contention of the respondent that the petitioner is not entitled to get maintenance as she is not legally wedded wife and that marriage between them was dissolved by way of talaq, and held that Section 125 CrPC itself has given definition of ‘wife’ which includes divorcee wife and makes clear that a Muslim woman who is either divorcee or who obtained divorce is entitled to get maintenance till her remarriage, and therefore respondent’s contention does not affect the right of the petitioner to claim maintenance. Secondly, the Court observed that the petitioner is well qualified, has completed degree in Food and Science Nutrician, is Post Graduate in Dietician field, had worked as a dietician with an income of Rs. 50000 per month, and has experience of working with reputed companies like Larsen and Toubro etc but at present she is not working.

The Court relied on Mamta Jaiswal v. Rajesh Jaiswal, 2000 (3) MPLJ 100, where it was held that “well qualified wife is not entitled to remain as an idle and claim maintenance from her husband”. The Court noted that the facts of the present case clearly shows that the petitioner is having good capacity to earn and therefore held that “the wife who is well qualified and claiming maintenance by sitting idle is not entitled to get maintenance”. Accordingly, the Court rejected the application filed by the petitioner. Firdos Mohd. Shoeb Khan v. Mohd. Shoeb Mohd. Salim Khan, decided on 20.02.2015]

Tagged with:
Written by Editor

Post navigation

We recommend

26 comments

• lucky Aug 30, 2016

Respected sirs,
    pls share the safeguard husband should take while wife always giving the suicide threats to husband and his family to fulfill her illogical demands.
    Does filling the NC in local police station is enough if in any case wife commits suicide and if we have filed NC.. How would it safeguard us? I mean police won’t arrest us immediately until investigation or they will never consider us as responsible for their death?

• AJITH.K Aug 14, 2016

Please give me the judgement no with date above mentioned article

• Editor Aug 16, 2016

You can read the judgment by clicking on the link generated on the Party name.

• Rajinder Aug 1, 2016

Is there any similar kind of judgments of any high court /supreme court. If,yes please help me out with the citations on my above e mail I d.
    Thanks

• C.VIJAYA KUMAR May 26, 2016

Reducing stress to the husband, today’s most matrimonial dispute both are well and equally qualified. When the wife is qualified education, the wife May get job and earn at the level of domestic livelihood level

• dr g balakrishnan PhD ML Nov 7, 2015

some how i do not agree to the view of the tribunal, when sec 125 of cr. p c has no such specific requirement. i think one cannot over read in between when courts have not read so deeply the constitutional fundamental rights articles.

i think any one could become incapacitated for any reason over which no one except God could help.

• Arindam Datta Mar 26, 2015

What will be the yardstick to determine whether the wife is "well-qualified" or has the "capacity to earn". There are many women who, inspite of being graduates or a post-graduate degree holder, remain as housewife. Unless the law is definite and certain, it may lead to conflicting decisions by different Courts. It is high time that the Legislature should interfere in the matter and lay down definite standards in this regard.

what is the right yard stick is also my question too?

so i think tribunal judgement dependent on madhya pradesh court judgement need to be judicially reviewed is my view

• Anil Mar 12, 2015

Dear my real story,

My marriage was arranged marriage & done on Feb 09, 2007 without any dowry & also in a simple manner. The role of middle person played by her Mosa2 & Massi. After marriage on first night, my wife say me that she was pressurised by her parents for this marriage. Me & my parents give her respect & lot of love & take care of her. But she never accept me as her husbands & never respect my aged parents. She never perform her Conj Rights. On Mar 24, 2007 her Brother & Mosa3 came to our place without prior information & take her with all the Valuable's giving reason that her father was ill. After some days we call her for return back to matrimonial home. But her mother was giving Mis reason that her father was ill, then again Reservation is not available etc ect. On month of June I had received notice from family court U/s 125 CRPC & then 13A within 44 days of marriage under the false allegations that she never prove because, nothing was happen with her. The Hon'be judge has passed interim maintenance in favour of her without any evidence. When she is deserted me & more qualified than me. From 8 years the case is pending in District family Court & she earn interim maintenance from me that I pay her from my fathers pension, when I am jobless & attend regular court dates. I had also filed revision but the court stands family court order. She had using tact's to delay the case on unwanted applications & not completed the case proceedings to harass me for illegal money, How she misuses the women's law under the provision of HMA. I had received only Tareek pe Tareek. (Hat's of to Hon'ble judge of MHC who had rejected maintenance to a wife on actual facts.)but what happen to 99% cases that was lying in the family courts?

i have sympathy for you.

see when she was more qualified than you, naturally she might have not liked the alliance, you also need to know how a woman more qualified than you could live with you.

secondly sec 125 of cr. p. c talks on your income only.

if you do not have any income court cannot ask your father to pay from his pension.

so there is some wrong some where.

you go to court with evidence that you do not any income to meet sec 125 order pronounced earlier and request the court to quash the earlier order, it would, my view. friend

• Anil Mar 11, 2015

Know these days it becomes a very easy job for mischievous wives go to court & file false petitions on filmy grounds like dowry, cruelty, mental cruelty, fake FIR to implicate her husband & his family members to harass them for illegal money. The maintenance is the cause of misuse of all acts included HMA. Wives has earn interim maintenance without any evidence for years & years & the husbands are harassed for years & years & get only Tareek pe Tareek harassed till… on the name of LAW. Husbands are deliberatively harassed in the courts & in the name of LAW, that is the main reason for misuse of Maintenance Laws in India. I am very surprised that why LD of GOI is not know about the misuse of these LAWs.Is this is not a terrisom against husbands in india.

Law can never be wrong. Probability of misuse is high. that means people fight their issues in a wrong way perhaps. why Dowry still continue, after it is outlawed.

Therefore, my gut feel is governments do not want to really find real meaningful solution against dowry.

my feeling is courts need to review the dowry laws.

if there is a dowry taken by husbands’ family, naturally he cannot come to the court with unclean hands as in writs, i believe.

• Vatsal Kansara Mar 10, 2015

Is there any similar kind of judgment of any High Court / Supreme Court.
    If, yes please help me out with the citation on my above email id.
    Thanx!

if there are judgements that could be duly countered by right petitioning, after all no judgent is sacrosanct if it is wrongly arrived at that way advocacy surfaced.

• Legal Editor Mar 10, 2015

Dear Sanyogita,
    Please refer the link generated on the name of the case. It will direct you to the judgment.

• Sanyogita Singh Mar 9, 2015

Can anyone please give me the citation to this case?

legal editor gave you a citation by asking you to go to a link, try if it is really useful

even if there so some link if you have a right case you can fight out the judgement too provided you could rightly question a legality that is what we call the question of law involved.

• Aruna Mishra Feb 27, 2015

It's a good news for the society

• deepti Feb 27, 2015

If wife is well qualified and after marriage husband did not allowed her to work n she has degree but no work experience and they got separated at her 30tes and its difficult to get job at 30tes and she don't have any work experience . At that case wil she get maintenance. ?

it all depends on the question of solid facts like you brought out.

law is not blind, but justice might be you need to light a candle in the darkness, that way came the hearings mechanics and advocacy.

• deepti Feb 27, 2015

If wife is well qualified and after marriage husband did not allowed her to work n she has degree but no work experience and they got separated at her 30tes and its difficult to get job at 30tes and she don't have any work experience . At that case wil she get maintenance. ?

• Elvis Kipkoech Feb 25, 2015

Another on in credit of Indian court.Source of this ruling should adpoted be world-over to stop harassment of divorced husbands and instil hardwork among women

i agree . judgements are always based on hard facts and the right application of right sections of law pls.

so there are courts sit first on hearings, to go deeper into real hard facts like fact finding forum then it has to apply what sections are quoted under which complainant moved the matter,

if you quote wrong sections naturally that would be fatal to your own case,

courts do not go out of the sections you quoted that way mostly prosecution cases fail miserably.

therefore, several times police cases fail in the forum of law pls.

• p p muley Feb 25, 2015

No comments on any judgement

• Rakesh mahajan Feb 25, 2015

This could reduce the stress on husband.but how could we stressless even now wife harrashing with the same matter.I stressed and going in depretion
    Please suggest me imediately to avoid mishappening.

uggest me imediately to avoid mid

first ensure whether your case is rightly drafted, go for second opinion. else being depressed cannot help you. Anything any one contemplates, one need to be reasonably prudent and it is better be doubly sure what you say.

else no court could help

Join the discussion

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked

eight + 16 =

Notify me of follow-up comments by email.

Notify me of new posts by email.

Popular on scc online blog

MOST COMMENTED

Tags

Disclaimer : The content of this Blog are for informational purposes only and for the reader's personal non-commercial use. The views expressed are not the personal views of EBC Publishing Pvt. Ltd. and do not constitute legal advice. The contents are intended, but not guaranteed, to be correct, complete, or up to date. EBC Publishing Pvt. Ltd. disclaims all liability to any person for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions, whether arising from negligence, accident or any other cause.

© 2015 EBC Publishing Pvt. Ltd. All rights reserved.

You are here: Home

Wife’s attempt to separate husband’s parents, suicide attempt, unfounded allegation of extra-marital affair considered mental cruelty on husband for divorce – Supreme court judgment

9 Oct 2016 by Leave a Comment

News about this Supreme Court judgment have started appearing in many newspapers with the headlines which like “forcing husband to separate from his parents” or “forcing Hindu son to separate from parents” amounts to cruelty, and so on.  As it happens, news headlines may a time don’t reflect the full picture of logic inside a judgment, and sometimes news reports may even highlight a secondary part of the judgment as the main reason when in fact the judgment was based mainly on other factors. This site contains very few judgments on topic of divorce, and the reasons are explained in   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Marriage Tagged With: ,

Audio recording between husband and wife is admissible evidence – Mumbai HC, 2011

7 Oct 2016 by 1 Comment

Many a time there is doubt raised by people about value of having an audio recording which goes on the lines of: “My lawyer says that audio recording….<add here something to effect of not good, not useful, not admissible etc etc.>” That audio recordings are not admissible or good evidence are just lazy excuses or convenient myths which are spread to steer husbands towards the C-word (read other posts on this site to know the meaning of C-word). And what’s surprising is this: sometimes the same people would be fearful that wife or in-laws may have recorded something of their   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Uncategorized Tagged With:

Is there any law which supports men?

17 Sep 2016 by 6 Comments

Recently someone sent email via our NGO website and upon my reply to his email giving some basic advice and further suggestion to join our groups, he replied back asking with a profound question, which triggered the need for writing this article. His full email had only one sentence: “ok thank u but is there no law which supports men can police help”. As an aside, I am unable to understand why do some people (though it has come down a lot) reply to my email asking a further question ignoring the standard large sized red coloured matter at the   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Men Rights Tagged With: ,

Jharkhand HC removes absconding proclamation under CrPC 82

30 Aug 2016 by Leave a Comment

A reader has sent this judgment in reference to another Jharkhand HC judgment dealing with arrest and proclamation under section 82 of CrPC. CrPC 82 can become a problem for those who want anticipatory bail or some kind of arrest protection, and pending that go underground or into hiding from police etc.  In that case, police may ask the court and court has power to declare that person as absconding from justice.  First para of Section 82 of CrPC is below: CrPC Section. 82  Proclamation for person absconding Descripttion If Any Court has reason to believe (whether after taking evidence   …[Continue Reading]

Reform Advocates Act for benefit of common public and litigants

22 Aug 2016 by 6 Comments

Law Commission has recently asked for opinions from stakeholders on reforms required in the Advocates Act, 1961, the last date of which is 31st Aug 2016.  So interested people can read the analysis and suggestions below, and send whatever suggestions they agree with to lci-dla@nic.in https://www.facebook.com/Law-Commission-of-India-1661261260775559/?fref=nf Hon’ble the Supreme Court of India , in criminal appeal No.63 of 2006, Mahipal Singh Rana v. State of U.P., has asked the Law Commission of India “to go into all relevant aspects relating to regulation of legal profession in consultation with all concerned” at an early date. In view of this, the Law   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Activism Tagged With: , ,

PIL format for implementing shared parenting, joint custody (to be filed in state HC)

6 Aug 2016 by Leave a Comment

Here is format of a PIL (must be modified with individual’s own case details), which can be filed in high court of any state which has not recommended yet the guidelines for shared parenting in child custody cases.  Details on which high courts have already approved the shared parenting guidelines are given in this post. Download Draft PIL on Shared Parenting, child custody guidelines (Word doc format) Full text of above PIL is also given below: BEFORE THE HON’BLE HIGH COURT OF “respective state name” AT “name of the high court location” W.P.(C). No. of 2016 Name of the Petitioner :   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Child Custody Tagged With:

Template/Format for newspaper apology by wife for filing false complaint or cases

6 Aug 2016 by 4 Comments

Friends, many a husbands have gone through the un-envious situation of having to deal with a wife who has dragged them to CAW cell/mahila thana, to police, or filed cases like DV/CrPC 125; and if that was not enough, later she proclaims that she wants to come back, or even files an RCR (restitution of conjugal rights) petition on husband in family court.  I have already outlined in this post in some detail on how to handle such now-I-hate-you-now-I-want-you type of wife. But I have realized that the “thanks but no thanks” approach is not working out for many husbands,   …[Continue Reading]

Filed Under: Men Rights Tagged With:

Women Safety: If someone is threatening a person via calls and messages , what charges can be pressed against him/her (in India)?

6 Aug 2016 by 1 Comment

My reply to this question on Quora was flagged as not being a direct reply to question asked: —————– Your answer doesn’t answer the questionThis answer should directly respond to the specific question asked. —————– The reason I didn’t give a supposedly direct answer was that I was asked by someone to answer this question, and another person before me had given plenty of direct information in his reply, so I decided to give a reply which will be more educative than making a person depend on asking a different question for every small doubt – avoiding the the spoon   …[Continue Reading]

Is the term Feminazi overrated?

6 Aug 2016 by Leave a Comment

Recently, I received notice from Quora about one of my answers on their site: We recently found some of your content (Vivek Deveshwar’s answer to Is the term Feminazi overrated?) that violates Quora’s Be Nice, Be Respectful policy (See What is Quora’s “Be Nice, Be Respectful” policy?). Not only that, Quora has requested me to update one of my other answers so that it answers the question more directly. Quora Moderation has flagged your answer to “Women Safety: If someone is threatening a person via calls and messages , what charges can be pressed against him/her (in India)?” as not   …[Continue Reading]

Husband’s EMI towards house to be considered in CrPC 125 Maintenance to wife – SC Judgment

21 Jul 2016 by Leave a Comment

This is somewhat old judgment of Supreme Court, and it brings an important consideration which was overlooked by lower courts: Which was neglecting to consider monthly EMI paid by husband towards housing loan. The order reduced maintenance amount from Rs 10,000 to Rs 5,000 p.m.  While this may cause cheers to readers, it should be noted that the in-hand salary of husband is Rs 9,000 p.m, so effectively he has to now survive on Rs 4,000 p.m.  Somehow the facts of the case don’t add up for me.  There must be more to it than the numbers mentioned in the   …[Continue Reading]

Sachin (N.A)     27 November 2016

You should check two points in your order sheet.

1. Your wife is not entitled for maintenance as she is working.

2. Your wife must share approx 50% of child maintenance.

If any of above condition not met you may file review application in same court or you may file revision in HC.

For more accurate replies, you may upload order sheet.

Need Advise (def)     27 November 2016

Madam/ Sir - I have updated the income information in my initial post. Its 1.4 lakh per month. My wifes income is around 66-70 k per month. It was a typo. Sorry about it.

Sachin sir - "Your wife must share approx 50% of child maintenance."

Should the cost borne by me and my wife be proportionate to our income or it should be 50:50. In affidavit, I mentioned, proportionate to income so it will be 66:33. Can I change this in high court?

Should I appeal in high court or request same court for modification.

Expenses as of now on child as per wife affidavit is 21k. Should 30 k not shared between me and wife as she is also earning? Or court feels that child is entitled for 45 k and I need to pay 30 k..FYI.. I am yet to receive copy of order.

(Guest)
Originally posted by : Need Advise
Honourable members,

We were married in 2003 and my wife took our 2 years old son and desrted me 5 years after marriage.  She moved to another city (Delhi) and working here.

2 years back she filed a case of divorce with ground such as desertion, cruelty and negligence and demanded 50,000/- assuming my salary as 3 lakh under HMA sec 24. I filed application for visitation of child for 4 hours each on sat and sunday 2 years back. Court argument happend after 2 years after we submitted our financial affidavits.In between,  I was pleading for meeting with  my son and court was giving me 2 hours each time I was either orally or in written. At most the total number of meetings were around 10. Also, voluntarly, I was paying 12 k for the child's welfare since last 6 months. Before that I was paying 10 k several times but not every month, may be once in 3-4 months and total amount was around 2 lakh.

In the order, Honourable Judge told me I need to pay 30 k for the welfare of my son and meeting fixed was 2 hours every alternate week. Is this justifiable? the expenses on child shown by her is approx 21k (education, food, clothing etc). Besides she has shown expenses like she goes for outing with son and she is investing in some LIC policies. My total income is 1.4 lakh per month(including rent, dividends and interests and after taxes) and my wife's total income is around 66-70 k after tax. She has not given all the bills.

I never expected this huge amount as I believed my wife will not be eligible for maintance. I have liability like I am giving 15.5 k as EMI for house and some other liabilities. Also, I am investing on child's future - 3 k directly under his name and 7 k in my father's name and my son being nominee. 

What should I do from here with regard to maintenance as well as with regard to visitation. Also, judge told me that it will be applicable since HMA sec was filed by my wife when I requested for it to be granted from date of order. There were delays in court proceedings such as lawyers strike, postponements of hearings, judge transfers etc.

Should I be requesting for appeal or request the same case to again look into the order. Please note I have applied for the order and not received the same yet.

kind Regards.

Maintenance ordered will be commensurate with the standard of living of the people involved and also the place which they stay in.  Going for appeal is of no use, High Court wont interfere with lower court orders with regards to maintenance as per my experience.  In turn, if there is some women favouring judge sitting in High Court, the orders may get revised to court asking you to pay even more than what you are currently paying.  There are many instance of HC increasing the maintenance ordered.  So simply keep paying what court has ordered and be happy.

If you feel paying maintenance to kid and wife is a problem, then bring back wife, give application to court that you are compromising with wife and that she has agreed to come back or you go stay with her, give a joint petition, take back all the cases that you have filed and let her also take back all the cases that she has filed, at home you need not pay a penny to either kid or the wife, stay happy as a family man!  Choice is yours.

Need Advise (def)     30 November 2016

Sir, issue is my wife has file divore and I am trying to fight the same. My intention is that we all live together most important because we have a son and I want him to get the love and care of both parents. However, she is not willing to come back. I have even filed secton 9. What should I do in such a case? I agree, higher court will normally not interfere in case of maintenance but what I feel it may give me more visitation.

Need Advise (def)     30 November 2016

Sachin sir - "Your wife must share approx 50% of child maintenance." Should the cost borne by me and my wife be proportionate to our income or it should be 50:50. In affidavit, I mentioned, proportionate to income so it will be 66:33. Can I change this in high court? Should I appeal in high court or request same court for modification.

Read more at: https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/details.asp?mod_id=144673&offset=1

Sachin (N.A)     30 November 2016

Dear quriest,

50 :50 is ideal condition. My only point is she should share the child expenditure with you and she herself is not entitled for maintenance.

Reason i stated this because I succed in getting this order from session court in my personal case.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register