LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Kiran Mehta (na)     10 October 2015

Help

I married my husband inspite of knowing that he is married before and not divorced. I was not aware about the law .. and since mine is a legal marriage i cannot even deny it .. 

Can charges be pressed against me by my husbands 1st wife or relatives? Can any harm happen to my husband? My husband is staying away frm his 1st wife for more than 10 years .. 

Learning

6 Replies

I walk alone (Asst Manager)     10 October 2015

Your husband is gonna get into trouble if previous wife is file some cases against him.

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     10 October 2015

His first and legal wife can file criminal case of bigamy u/s 494 ipc and he will be jailed for 7 years, your marriage as per law is illegal therefore it has no legal value, it is treated as null and void marriage .

Kiran Mehta (na)     10 October 2015

Thank you for your reply. The thing is that they are not against my husband .. they are against me as according to them i have ruined their life and peace .. can a case be initiated against me only? My husband does not earn any more and i earn .. so we have stopped giving any maintenance money .. his 1st wife also does not earn but have a flat to her name ..

I walk alone (Asst Manager)     10 October 2015

Once again saying, they can not harm you...

Kiran Mehta (na)     12 October 2015

Experts, any other point of view??

b.goheel   12 October 2015

going thrgh ur old query also.
first decide ur husband is staying away frm his first wife for 10 or 15 yrs. thgh dont knw no. of yrs of seperation hv any effect. bcoz bigamy is bigamy.
in early thread u like to knw abt ur share in the property of ur beloved [!!!] husband and nw abt punishment.
true one has to keep in mind of both. [dont leave the property at the same time donot invite punishment].
wish u best of in ur endeavor.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register