LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Jayanta Kumar Rath (Junior Manager Electrical)     07 July 2014

Harrashment by employer

I'm Jayanta Kumar Rath, who is working as a Junior Manager (Electrical) in North Eastern Electricity Supply Company of Odisha Limited. I'm continuously harassed by our management by means of baseless departmental proceedings, unjustified and unethical punishments as well as frequent transfers violating the standing rules and regulations.

My father Mr. Gopinath Rath is an Ex-Service Man who has served in Indian Air Force from 1972 to 1987. Being disciplined personnel of Defense of India, he has taught their children a disciplined lifestyle with honesty.

I had joined in NESCO on May 2004 and continuing. I have worked as Junior Manager (Electrical) at Electrical Section, Hatigarh from July 2004 to April 2006 under JED, Jaleswar. During my incumbency in Hatigarh Section he was in additional charge of Mahulia Section for some months, as the then Junior Manager (Electrical) of Mahulia section was on leave for a post accidental treatment. Sri Rabindra Pradhan, one Lineman of Mahulia section with the help of one outsourced person namely Sri Umakanta Sahoo (Bulu) had given new lines connections to some habitats under Mahulia section by preparing forged and xeroxed money receipt. The fact is discovered in 2008, while I had been transferred from Hatigarh section and working as Estimator, JED, Jaleswar. During enquiry both Sri Pradhan and Sri Sahoo had admitted their guilt. As a result of which, Sri Umakanta Sahoo has been terminated from service and Sri Rabindra Pradhan has deposited penalty around Rs150000/- (Rupees One Lakh Fifty Thousand). Still, I have been penalized for “Withholding of two increments with cumulative effect” which is totally unjustified. At that time, I had a discussion with the then CEO Mr. S. K. Singh, Sr. GM S. K. Singha and GM Mr. S Bhuyan regarding the justification of such penalty on me when the actual culprit has admitted his guilt. As per instruction of the CEO, Mr. Chinmaya Ratha of HR wing produced the file of the proceeding where, it was found my original statements recorded during inquiry are Tempered. The original statements are Erased with the help of correction fluid and some statements which would result punishment to me were written without Initials of Inquiry Officer or Presenting Officer or Delinquent Officer. When Sri Chinmaya Rath was asked about the tempering of the documents, he could not explained any satisfactory reason. Here also it is to mention that, the copy of the statements were not provided to the Delinquent Officer by the Inquiry Officer and Presenting Officer, who opined that, there is no rule to provide the copy of statements to the delinquent officer. Hence it is confirmed that, the conclusion of the proceeding was preplanned and preoccupied. The Sr. GM Mr. S.K. Singha had confessed that non-providing of the copy of statement was the mistake of the inquiry officer and the CEO S.K. Singh showed his inability to change the unjustified decision.

I was Junior Manager (Electrical) in Gopalgaon Section under BED, Balasore from February 2010 to June 2010. During the last hour of my leaving from Gopalgaon section a new connection was given to Residential building Sri Jayadeep Ghosh of Ranipatna by the Section-Clerk and one Junior Technician beyond the knowledge of me. Without any knowledge of the connection I was transferred to the seat of Estimator, BED, Balasore. In September 2010 Sri Ghosh was detected using of the connection for running of “Pradeep +2 Science College” by the Vigilance team of NESCO and penalized by the then SDO (Electrical), Supply Sibdivision-I, Balasore. Also the penalty has been realized from Sri Ghosh as per the provisional and final assessment made by the then SDO. But, again there was one departmental proceeding initiated against me which was groundless. After inquiry I was freed from all major charges by the inquiry officer and one minor charge also is not established properly. On the contrary, on Dt: 27.01.2013 I was awarded penalty by the then OSD, NESCO Mr. Basudev Panda and MD, NESCO Mr. Sandesh N Rane for, “Removal from service” which is based on which rule is in doubt. Considering my representation Mr. Rane rescinded the penalty on Dt: o4/04/2014 and awarded another three penalty i.e. Recovery of Company’s Loss amounting to Rs95152/-; Period of Removal to be treated as such and Withholding of one increment with cumulative effect. Here it is to point out that, I was freed from the charges of “Financial Loss to the company” by the Inquiry Officer. During this course Mr. Basudev Panda has frequently asked me as well as to my parents to meet him personally and he may close the case which make it clear that Mr. Panda had some ill intension and vested interest. Consequently, I have not paid any salary from April 2013 to July 2013. Since October 2013 I am getting salary with a deduction of Rs3305/- without my consent.

After, a good number of personal and written approaches by me to provide me the justification and clarification of the punishments, our management has shown its deafness. Lastly, I compelled to seek the information through RTI. Here also I have not provided the correct or pinpointed information. Our present Head (HR & Admin) Mr. A.K. Das calls me frequently and tries to demoralize me. He also threatens me that, I will be transferred, I will be put in trouble, if I challenge to the above decisions of management. He also says management is always right; management can do anything. Before, someday I personally met to present MD and as assured by him I represented for consideration of the penalties.

Consequence upon my representation to MD, I have been transferred illegally to an very interior Electrical Section on Dt: 03/07/2014. Previously, I have been transferred very frequently within very short time span. i.e.

Ø  February 2010 from Estimator, JED, Jaleswar to Electrical Section Gopalgaon, Balasore.

Ø  June 2010 From Electrical Section, Gopalgaon to Estimator, BED, Balasore which is after four months only.

Ø  May 2011 from Estimator, BED, Balasore to ABT Cell, Corporate Office, Balasore after eleven months.

Ø  February 2012 from ABT Cell, Corporate Office, Balasore to Mobile Maintenance Group, Bhadrak after nine months only.

Ø  August 2012 from Mobile Maintenance Group, Bhadrak to ABT Cell, Corporate Office, Balasore.

Ø  Dt: 27/01/2013 he had been removed from service.

Ø  Dt: 05/04/2013 he joined in ABT Cell, Corporate Office, Balasore.

Ø  On Dt: 03/07/2014 from ABT Cell, Corporate Office, Balasore to Kaptipada Electrical Section after fourteen months only.

Such frequent transfer is beyond the standing rules and regulations of our organization as well as government. Further, our Head (HR & Admin) told me that, transfer is required for study my performance and consideration of the penalties. Here, I would like to state that, performance of an employee can be studied from the present place of posting. And so far my knowledge, my performance in present place of posting is not bad and minimum period for being in one seat is not elapsed as per rule. I think this transfer is outcome of an evil mind and monopoly of our management.

Further, my mother is suffering from various health issues since 2008 and going through medical supervision by various doctors in Cuttack, Aditya Care, Bhubaneswar as well as doctors in Balasore. In all these situation my presence near her is highly essential. Being in a distant and interior area or any distribution section, it will not be possible by me to look after my old and ill parents. Also myself is under medical supervision since last one year after my surgical treatment in March 2013. I have been advised by doctors to ride motorcycle as minimum as possible. In field unit or distribution section it is not possible.

In such a situation me and my family members are going through a mental agony. Due to such activity of our management, preferably Mr. A.K. Das, Head (HR & Admin) and his wing, I am not in a good state of mind to work in a field unit of NESCO. NESCO Management is not allotting me a duty where I have shown good performance in past. Such situation may lead if any type of mishap to me as well as to my family also, misfortune in my workplace.

Kindly suggest me what should I do now.

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 July 2014

You are aware and have underlined the right points.

Since you are right hence the HR and others are also aware that if you are provided with all docs on record exonerated they shall be in trouble. They want to retire with all terminal benefits and therefore sermons are being given to you.

Avail the services of a good Defense Representative, consultant well versed with Inquiry Processes, Lawyer well versed with Service Matters............................................and show all docs on record...............................to firm up your strategy and proceed further under their expert advise...........

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register