Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mohammad (Engineer)     23 November 2013

Grandmother's property partition / nominee?

Hi,

The property in question is a flat which was self acquired by my recently deceased Grandmother (Mother's Mother), with no will left behind. My mother is also no more. As my mother's brother contacted me few days back for my signature in "Letter of Consent" document for no objection to transfer the property to his name. Also he said that this is only for formality as his name is already mentioned as the Nominee and the property is anyways his.

My Grandmother has 1 son and 2 daughters. i am the son of the eldest daughter (expired).

The question is that do i or my siblings get share in the property? How should i deal legally with such cases as my Mother's brother is in no mood to disclose and property documents and will result in quarrels/bad relations.

Thank you.

Learning

3 Replies

Also one more question to this? I being a Muslim, does Muslim property act come into picture or there is nothing as such? Property law is same for all?

Thanks and Regards,

Mohammad.

I am a Dawoodi Bohra (Shia Ismaili sect.). Experts please reply.

Lawyer SALEEMA (Advocate Madras High Court & Legal Consultant Chennai Law in Law Firm. +91-9698884779)     17 May 2014

Yes. Mohamaden Law is applicable. To form an opinion we want to know the answers for the following questions:-

1.Whether your mother pre-deceased your grandmother or not? 

2. Is there any other legal heirs were alive at the time of death of your grandmother?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register